Optical Jukeboxes and Drives
1755700 Members
3195 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion

Error on HP CDwriter DVD Combo 9900 Series

K.Lakshminarayanan

Re: Error on HP CDwriter DVD Combo 9900 Series

I had exactly the same problem of continuous blinking light.I will elaborate little bit here.

I first purchased this CDWriter/DVD Combo9900 in Singapore in 2001 and brought it to india to fix it in my PC.It worked fine for 18 months and this problem of blinking light made it unusable.I wrote a polite but angry letter to the Head of indian operations expressing my disappointment over the performance of the product.With a lot of perseverence from my end and a generous gesture from HP side, i got a free new replacement in mid 2004 but within 5 or 6 months, the CD Writer conked off again with blinking light.I took it to their local service div office and the service engineer after a week of keeping it with him announced that the drive is defective.Now the interesting part starts...Yesterday i reloaded this writer in my PC and promptly found the blinking light.I shut off my PC yesterday night and today about 3 hours back, when i switched on the PC,PRESTO!! NO BLINKING LIGHT!! I loaded a MP3 CD and it played beautifully but when i loaded a blank CD-R for burning, the blinking light reappeared.

So what is the problem??

When i had the same problem, i adviced the service technician to check with their central service department to findout whether this is a recurring problem.But that guy was totally uninterested and was confident the writer has conked off.

Now when i see this web site, i am amazed how many have had the same problem.Does the company listens to the customers?? I wonder!!

* Post has been edited to adhere to the Forum guidelines.