Optical Jukeboxes and Drives
1755692 Members
3297 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: problems reading photo CDs made on one HP computer on other HP computers

Mike Rose_2

problems reading photo CDs made on one HP computer on other HP computers

I am using HP Pavilion 6640C with a CD-Writer Plus 8000 series running XP. I have made photo CDs successfully and read these on three HP/Compaq computers (2 running XP and 1 running Win2K), but my family is having problems reading these same CDs on two other HP computers. One computer is M# D5259A with CD ROM 67735L. This is running either Win 95 or 98; I can find out if crucial. After doing some reading, I assume the problem rests with the older CD ROM devices. Before I look to change CD ROM devices I would like some help isolating the possible root cause. Can you please give me some advice on how to solve this? thanks, mr

Moved from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards>general to Optical Jukeboxes & Drives

1 REPLY 1
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

Re: problems reading photo CDs made on one HP computer on other HP computers

chances are high that it's a problem with an older generation CDROM unable to read a a recorded CD from your burner.

To test out this theory, try using the software that came w/ the burner to make a CD. Make sure you close the session when you write the cd.... You might also try writing on a "name brand" CD-R and seeing if it can be read from the PC having the problem.

I've noticed that one one of my older CDROMs that it will read my recorded CD's that were a higher grade/quality but it wouldn't read the cheap brand that you can buy in bulk.

Easy answer is to possibly get a newer gen CDROM to put in it. Might run about $15-$20 or so (depending if you get one w/ a rebate). Heck, for a few bucks more you might be able to replace it with a CD writer.

Good luck!
-Denver