1758681 Members
2017 Online
108874 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SmartStart 8.00 and Windows 2008

Juan IT

Re: SmartStart 8.00 and Windows 2008

Hey Eric,

I may have your answer. one of my engineer's & myself found ourselves in the same predicament.
This was our solution after numerous downloads & various attempts. We also received the missing hpssbem file message as well. when we bypassed that massage, now the server refused to load the array controller driver, and MAN, we tried every variation.
So what was our solution, FIRMWARE UPDATE. This was the last resort aside from calling HP. And it worked. The firmware update found three updates for the server, applied them, rebooted, and when i got to the DOS screen where i received the error message, BOOM, it worked and the unattended file launched, Server 2008 x64 was installed.
Now, I used the SMART START 8.10 for x64, but i also got the initial problem you did.

Download the Firmware Maintenance CD, VERSION 8.20 - Aug 11, 2008

Here's the LINK: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantessentials/foundationpack/downloads.html

Burn the .iso to a disc and run at reboot. Loads up just like Smart Start does. Just launch the update, it should find components that need the update, apply them all, reboot after install, don;t forget to remove disk at reboot and watch the unattended file go to work.

LET ME KNOW IF THIS WORKED OUT FOR YOU.

updated firmware but still have the HPSSBEM.ini error. Any suggestions?
kprime999

Hello people

Let me tell you how to solve this problem

First that all we need to run the erase utility using the Smart start CD; this can be done booting up the machine using the Smart start.
Steps to follow:
1- Choose maintain server and erase utility, remember this tool will delete whatever is on the hard drives so please make sure you don├в t have any other Raid configured on the controller we are going to erase, because you will lose everything, after we did that lets move on.
2- Go to the ORCA, this utility can be access during POST, just wait until the smart array controller initializes and then press the correct key to get access to the tool, most of the times is F8
3- On the configuration tool please choose create a new RAID and then proceed to do what you need, RAID 0, 1, 1+0 or 5
4- Save then changes and proceed with a manual installation, that├в s all you have to do.

The reason you are getting this is problem is directly related to the RAID creation from the ACU, unfortunately I still don├в t know why when we try to install the Windows 2008 in a Raid created using the ACU we have this problem, but for sure the process I described below will fix your issue

Regards
Vuk

Hello,

We tried everything from above and nothing helps. Everytime its the same error and we just dont know what the problem is.

Any new suggestions??

:)
Dusan Zierl

That's correct. I can install SBS2008 Premium server now without issues you've noticed here. Just deleted all RAID volumes and created ONE volume for system. The installation is clear now.
Thanx for help.
Dusan Zierl

And remember ... create the new RAID volume using ORCA utility.

Dears,
I've tried all steps described above, but no result.
Have you any other remedies?
Thank you
Andy_R
Frequent Advisor

I had the same problem with SmartStart 8.15b, Firmware was updated before Installation using Firmware Maintenance v8.40.

The installation failed with SmartStart saying missing hpssbem.ini.
I tried again but this time SmartStart asked for a flat file but that seems to be another problem as posted here: http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1207183

After that I connected an external USB DVD-drive and booted directly from the OS-DVD and Setup completed successfully.

Another try with the integrated DVD-drive and no SmartStart was successful too.

Win 2008 Enterprise 64bit
DL360G5
2x Xeon E5450
16GB RAM
4x72GB Raid5, 50GB Partition for the OS

Jeremy Stump
Advisor

I suggest during setup you setup snmp, i found that to be an issue alot of times when setting up servers with hp smart start. For a basic setup use public in the community name with a read write on the security tab.
Adiss Elshamaa

I had this problem too, on a ML350 G5p with Smart array b110i
Basically the disk is unable to find the c: drive where it copied all the files. I figured it had to do with the raid. Specially after I knew the install was fine using one drive (no raid).

After trying a few options. I found that the raid was configured in the Bios was recognizing the drives, but the smart start ACU did not. I was using the latest smart start v8.6 and did not even see the B110i. I used an older version Smart Start 8.3 and this time it saw the b110i but the drives were not set up in RAID and to my surprise I had to re-setup the raid. Once I did that There were no problems anymore.

I went through the installation smooth. So bottom line make sure your RAID is recognized.