1753365 Members
6457 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

10k vs 15k SAS in 2019?

ssa5
Occasional Visitor

10k vs 15k SAS in 2019?

We have been in the process of researching different servers, and in this process several sales have told us the following: There is really no perforamnce increase going to 15k that justifies the cost, and that 10k vs 15k benchmark difference is neglible. 

In our existing DL380 we have a mix of one array being 15k and a second array with midline 7200k drives. The performance is amazingly noticeable. I would like to hear from some real world users rather than sales whether there is a benefit to going with 15k 2.5" SAS vs 10K 2.5" SAS

The purpose of these servers are to run ESXi with a RAID 10 array holding the datastores. We don't need a gazillion terabytes of storage, but do need cost effective performance (stress cost as we have already excluded SSDs as too expensive).  We are currently looking at DL380 G10 

1 REPLY 1
Parvez_Admin
Community Manager

Re: 10k vs 15k SAS in 2019?

Hi Sean,

I understand you are looking for a response from someone with experience with these products. Till then if you haven't yet, you can try talking with our HPE Sales Chat using this link and they may be able to give you few insights aswell. 

Thanks,
Parvez_Admin
I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
CM_Cert_Logo_Color.png