1758752 Members
3090 Online
108875 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1850 and RIB

Greg Gardner

1850 and RIB

I have now had 2 1850s display this exact same problem, and would appreciate any feedback!
The issue is that the 1850 loses ping UNLESS someone is logged into the machine via the RIB.
If we remove the RIB entirely, the machine no longer loses ping, but of course, we lose the ability to control the machine remotely.
One of the 1850s in question is running 2K SP4, and the other is running 2K3 Server.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be causing this issue?
Thanks much,
Greg
7 REPLIES 7
Mike Strako
Trusted Contributor

I have a few questions, when you state losing ping, is that RIB ping or server ping? Also, are the names different on the server and name on the RIB? I.E. server1 (for server) and rserver1 (for rib)?
Greg Gardner

I am losing Ping to the Server unless I am logged into the machine through the RIB.
The RIB does not lose ping.
Server address would be "name-server"
RIB address would be RIB-name
Mike Strako
Trusted Contributor

Are you at the same location as the server? Can you logon to the server console and ping the outside world not using the RIB?
Greg Gardner

regrtfully we removed the RIB, and now the machine has no problems, so I can't test this, but what were you thinking of my trying, in case I can get them to let me work on the machine again to test this?
Greg Gardner

I'm going to replace the RIB right now and will let you know as soon as I lose ping whether it can ping the outside world.
Greg Gardner

OK,
I have reinserted the RIB, and now need to wait until the server loses ping to test what you recommended.
Will keep you apprised, and thank you again!
Greg
Mike Strako
Trusted Contributor

How is it going?