1757969 Members
2728 Online
108866 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

1850R won't boot SmartStart 5.5 or floppy drive

Phil.Howell
Honored Contributor

Re: 1850R won't boot SmartStart 5.5 or floppy drive

Why don't you make a dos boot cd and include the array controller and scsi drivers from
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=257743&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=254604&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=14
alternatively a boot cd of the vintage of redhat 7 may work?
rdarlin2
Occasional Advisor

Phil - you are brilliant!

While I can't boot from floppy (hence this posting)... I can try and take the SCU diskettes and make a bootable CD - no SS executable to fail on. This at least may get me a clear configuration... if this works I can eiher fix the boot order or do the array config on CD as well. Always assuming the CD boot problem I have is due to the CD not running the smartstart executable. (It did run the UBUNTU install CD).

Will adv.
rdarlin2
Occasional Advisor

Changed CD drive with another from an 1850R - same error. Changed Floppy drive from another 1850R - still not bootable.

In fact, I put disk 1 of the SCU set of 4 onto a bootable CD, and was able to set the boot order to force boot from A: first. The floppy just isn't being accessed. All cables look good and reseated. Must be a Motherboard problem.

While I was able to get diskette 1 of the SCU set onto a boot cd.. I was unable to get the system to read diskette 2-4 from cd. Does anyone have an idea on how to do that? If I can get the SCU loaded I can get this thing working.

How can I create a CD or CD-set of SCU diskettes?
Unclown

Currently I'm mucking round with an 1850R, was trying to get Ubuntu to install on it, but gave up (may have been to do with me trying to get a PCI USB2.0 4-port card/2-Port PCI SATA card and a Reaktek? 8169? (Gigabit) NIC.
Have removed all cards except SATA and NIC).

To your problem:

Look at user diagram on underneath of top cover.
I think it is SW6? (on mobo behind FDD/CD-ROM).
You need to change the jumper (No. 4 IIRC) to ON (Floppy Override) - I found this by accident - couldn't find anything to change floppy boot in BIOS, but this appears to do the trick.

HTH.

P.S: Let me know how you get on with installing Ubuntu - might give it another go...