2580 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

2 disks in raid 1 displaying imminent hdd failure

Az_7
Occasional Contributor

2 disks in raid 1 displaying imminent hdd failure

Hi,

What would be the correct procedure for replacing hdd's displaying imminent failure if both drives are in the same raid 1 set?
6 REPLIES 6

Re: 2 disks in raid 1 displaying imminent hdd failure

Replace one disk, then wait until the disk is syncronised and then replace the other disk.
Az_7
Occasional Contributor

Thanx. This is what i did, however the raid set does not rebuild & displays "waiting to rebuild" message. Changing rebuild priority does not make any difference.
Ken Krubsack
Trusted Contributor

You're doing it right. I think there may be something preventing the rebuild since both drives are showing imminent failure - I have tripped across that before.

I hope you have this pair backed up. Is it an OS disk or "just" a data area? I'm thinking you just might have to backup, swap BOTH disks, create mirror set and array, restore.
cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If your controller and disk firmware, drivers and array applications (i.e. ACU) are at the latest supported versions and you still can't get it rebuild, try to get an Array Diagnostic Utility report (if your platform supports it) analyzed to see what the reason(s) are. Your only other option is to recreate and restore from backup.

FWIW: Usually having everything current will prevent these issues.

Rgds,
Az_7
Occasional Contributor

Tx for the feedback. Ended up restoring from back up.
cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I suggest you update your controller & disk firmware and drivers to help reduce the chance of this happening again.

Rgds,