1754057 Members
2725 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2008R2 NIC teaming breaks dcpromo

roger_108
Occasional Contributor

2008R2 NIC teaming breaks dcpromo

We have several servers dropping off network. Doesn't happen without NIC teaming. As part of investigation did several bare metal builds DL360 G4p, DL360 G5 and DL380 G6 - all exhibit same problem as follows. With or without smartstart, s2008R2 std using latest psp plus NIC upgrade to 12.2.2.1 and finally HCU 9.8.1.0.
Once the server is built, with fixed IP address on the team, dcpromo fails during the DNS wizard phase alleging that there is a device with DHCP address. If the Nic team is removed then everything runs fine.

Has anyone any ideas??
9 REPLIES 9
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

latest psp but aree eusing latest firmware cd too version 8.6

do you have isa server running ,,,

, disable isa server what happens now,

disable any firewalls

if using symantec endpoint remove tefer 2 driver in dev manager
roger_108
Occasional Contributor

Firmware 8.6 was released 8 august 2009
psp 8.3 was released 18 august and contains substantially the same drivers.
The broadcomm driver update 12.2.2.1 [cp011633] is dated 10 November and the NCU [cp011548 - 2008R2] or [cp011547 - 2008] both dated 12 November, these are NCU 9.80.1.0 although the splash screen shows 9.80.0.5 ??
There is no firewall or ISA [bare O/S], everything on simple IPv4 LAN.
I have built several servers from system erase, nothing but basic build, both Smartstart and maintenance CD or built from MSoft media plus PSP plus cp011633 plus cp011548, all fail in same way.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Roger if 8.6 firmware is used , ensure you use psp version 8.3 notjust selected drivers as psp 8.3 and firware cd8.6 are meant to work hand in hand.,

do any servers at all work fine with nic teaming on the same subnet .
roger_108
Occasional Contributor

I apply the full psp plus the later drivers.
I do not have any 64-bit 2008 server that will successfully NIC team and run dcpromo. I can get 2003R2 going fine on same hardware [I have tested this by swapping HDD and rebuilding - same NIC same IP et al]
Pogumirskiy Nikolay
Frequent Advisor

It's a Win2008R2 bug, I suppose. Solution for now is turning on teaming after dcpromo.
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

This was my experience with all teaming configurations - it just refers to dcpromo detecting a NIC without a static IP, which is a configuration both of the physical NICs are in.

I always just to just hit something to the effect of "ignore" at the prompt that came up and continue - I don't have a Windows 2008R2 box to test this with, have they changed the prompting to prevent this?
roger_108
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, if dcpromo was the only issue it wouldn't matter. It is possible to ignore the warning and the wizard completes. There are some further issues with DNS if the copy of windows hasn't been activated but that is a different matter.

However there are subsequent issues with dcdiag failing.

All issues are resolved without the teaming configuration. The same issue seems to occur with the Broadcom teaming so it is difficult to understand where the problem arises. It may be that there are 2 different issues but I feel that would be too much of a coincidence.
John Wade

The DCDIAG error is a bug fixed by a microsoft hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978387

As far as we can tell, the incorrect detection of a DHCP address is purely a cosmetic defect and does not affect operation.
mcicognani

I have similar problems with an ML350G6, startup 8.60 and 2003 Server SP2 x64 (not R2).
Teaming doesn't work upon startup, obviously reporting all sort of errors due to the missing network, even if the network seems to be there. I have to disable and re-enable it to make it work.
And it works, at least till next reboot...
Still looking for a solution.