1758015 Members
2051 Online
108866 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 802.1Q VLAN Configuration in HP Network Configuration Utility

Sam Lawson

802.1Q VLAN Configuration in HP Network Configuration Utility

Hey,

I've just setup a pretty simple 802.1Q Tagged VLAN in our office here. Basic steps is one DL380, 4 workstations, 2 of the workstations are on IP Range 192.168.1.x the other 2 on 192.168.2.x

I have several switches running in between but the VLAN tagging and trunking is all ok there.

I have allocated the 2 ranges to VLAN IDs 101 and 102 in the HP Network Manager, the issue is i can't get them both to work at once. I have set both VLANs in the VLAN section of the adapter properties, but the only one that will work at a time is whichever is selected in the Default/Native VLAN ID box. is there any way to make them both work simultaniously?

I'd be very grateful for any help.

Cheers
2 REPLIES 2
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

what do you mean by " have allocated the 2 ranges to VLAN IDs 101 and 102" ?
I'll start telling i've no experience with VLAN's on a server interface, but I would sugest your server needs two ip-adresses, one in each subnet, each assigned to it's specific VLAN.

Second, I don't think the switch automatically detects that multiple VLAN's are used by this server.
So at the switch-port you'll have to explicitly define the port as a "trunk".
Then packets from all VLAN's (not only VLAN1) will be sent to and accepted on this port. (at least you should check on the switch if the port is in "trunking mode").
Connery
Trusted Contributor

By saying "have allocated the 2 ranges to VLAN IDs 101 and 102", he means he's assigned 192.168.1.1-255 to VLAN 101 and 192.168.2.1-255 to VLAN 102.

Pieter is right that you need to be sure and assign two IP addresses to the server and fix the switch config for this to work correctly.

Specifically, make sure you assign the server IP addresses to the new Local Area Connections that are added after you create the VLANs in the HP Network Configuration Utility (NCU).

Make sure you create the VLANs in NCU in the right place - either on the right physical NIC or on the right NIC team. If you are only using a single NIC, then create the VLANs on that one NIC. If you are using Teaming also, create the VLANs on the team only.

On the switch, you will need to make the port a trunking (VLAN trunking, not port trunking) port by tagging it and making sure VLANs 101 and 102 are carried. Also, make sure the server and the switch agree on which VLAN is the native.

The side effect of connecting a trunked port (NIC in this case) to a port assigned to a single VLAN assigned with no tagging (switch port in this case) is that only the native VLAN will have communication - exactly the issue you are describing. So, most likely you have the server configured correctly but not the switch. The problem is caused by the fact that the switch only transmits untagged frames and the receiving port (NIC) classifies all untagged frames based on whichever VLAN is set to the native.

Regards,
-sean

---------------------
Sean McGee
network architect, CCIE #18040
HP