ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751718 Members
5578 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: A few problems about HDDs(ML350p Gen8)

HalcyonOSCS
Advisor

A few problems about HDDs(ML350p Gen8)

1.I wonder what's the sensor HD-Max. I guess it's the max temperature of the HDDs
2.My ML350p Gen8 shows HD-Max "not installed". I have two HDDs installed on the device, a Seagate 500GB and a Seagate 2TB, both are desktop HDDs I previously bought for my desktop PC. The controller is at AHCI mode, with each disk configured as a separated array. The HDD trays are ones without LEDs from my previous MicroServer Gen8. iLO shows storage degraded. I used my own HDDs torn out from my portable HDD for my previous DL360p Gen8 with LED trays, it didn't show degraded at the default settings.
3.I have the server by my bed, unfortunately. I had a peaceful time with it with all its fans at 6%, it was pretty quiet by then.
Windows Server 2012 R2
1*E5-2670
4*4 ECC 1333MHz
Array controller at IDE mode
But it has been noisy recently, I reconfigured the array controller as AHCI mode, with two of the three fans going up to more than 10% (I see 19% once). They go up only for a short moment and goes back to 6%, but this happen once a few seconds, really annoying. So is there a solution? If possible I hope I can keep AHCI mode.
6 REPLIES 6
HalcyonOSCS
Advisor

I just did a benchmark on my HDD. This array is a RAID0 with two Seagate 2TB Desktop Drives, both are using drive trays from my MicroServer Gen8 with no LED. I think the result isn't normal, a single one of these HDDs attached to my PC (E3-1230v2 Z77 Chipset) has a better performance with Seq Read the exception. So what's wrong? I have 3 HDDs attached now, one 500GB Seagate Pipeline as my system drive (running Server 2012) and two 2TB Seagate Desktop ruiing in RAID0. Controller is P420i AHCI mode with no cache module.
HalcyonOSCS
Advisor

I guess IE11 on Server 2012 caused that messy reply above. I did attach an attachment but it's gone. So I probably have to type out the benchmark result. The benchmark is CrystalDiskMark running 64-bit mode. Results are: Seq Q32T1 read16.49MB/s write13.11MB/s 4K Q32T1 read0.461MB/s write0.405MB/s Seq read449.5MB/s write98.16MB/s 4K read0.655MB/s write0.573MB/s
HalcyonOSCS
Advisor

I have another problem.
Where's my Insight Display? My ML350p Gen8 is a tower, and the PDF manual has a part about Insight Display, but I can't find it anywhere on the front panel.
Is the Insight Display somewhere else or my ML350p's previous owner removed it or it simply doesn't exist on a tower model?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I think it was standard in Gen8 (Rack models), but optional in Gen9.

So there is none in tower models. If you need it, buy 660583-B21.

Position is here:

(push to release and pull out)

HP ProLiant ML350p Gen8 Server User Guide - Insight Display.jpg

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
HalcyonOSCS
Advisor

And what about the storage degraded situation? Can I solve it simply by replacing HDD trays with LED ones? Or a storage healthy status can only be achieved by using HP HDDs? This server is for my interest group at school and I have a really tight budget.
HalcyonOSCS
Advisor

I switched to LED trays and storage status become normal, but the irregular noise continues. Two of the three fans installed spins up for a few seconds and goes down for a few seconds and goes up, repeat.
This is REALLY annoying, I can take the noise of the fans all at even 20%, but the constantly changing fan speed really annoys me, I suspect it's the P420I controller which tends to get relatively hot at between 45┬░C and 50┬░C.