ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1754866 Members
5440 Online
108827 Solutions
New Discussion

Apparently its child-proof! A DL360 and me .....

dcason
Advisor

Apparently its child-proof! A DL360 and me .....

Hi Folks,

I had my previous company GIVE me our old Dl360 to use - great right !?

It would be but its apparently child-proof ..... when I got it from the office I got it home and went to boot it!  When its powered up, the external health light and the are both green and the insight display is clear.  However I have NO video at all on either the front or rear video displays - nothing at all, no bios, nothing.

I've broken down the server and pulled out the NAS controller, all of the RAM but 4 and 1 processor - still no video!

I do know that the companies IT guys took it over after I left and did finally shut it down remotely and they did manage the entire system remotely but only ran it for a few months after I left.

I’ve tried to get in via the iLO port but never used them before - Does anyone have any suggestions for me ?!

Cheers'
Dave Cason

Calgary, AB

5 REPLIES 5
Murali_V
HPE Pro

Re: Apparently its child-proof! A DL360 and me .....

Hello Dave, 

To isolate the issue, try base configuration and try resetting NVRAM. 

Refer the below document and perofrm the steps in order: 

https://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/mostViewedDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=3683705&spf_p.tpst=psiContentDisplay&spf_p.prp_psiContentDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03313823-2%257CdocLocale%253Den_US&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Perform the following to clear the server CMOS:

1. Power the server OFF.
  2. Set the System maintenance switch 6 to the ON position. (you can see the switch location on Server Access panel)
  3. Power the server back ON.
  4. After the server has completed the Power-On Self Test, power the server OFF.
  5. Set the System maintenance switch 6 back to the OFF position.
  6. Power the server back ON.

if the issue not resovled, give us more details and server generation. 

Regards, 

Murali V

Was this post useful?

Accept or Kudo

dcason
Advisor

Hi Murali,

Yep, I've done that to no effect !  The battery is even out of that server main board ......

I do have another board and I think I'll try that one again, last time I put it in and transfered over the memory to this new board the insight display lite up on all 8 backs of RAM - I have ordered 8 new 2 GB sticks.

Anything else I can try on the orginial board ?

Cheers'

Dave

Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

The default configuration for iLO is to obtain a lease via DHCP. I would recommend connecting the iLO port to a switch, and see if your DHCP server records a lease being issued.
dcason
Advisor

Hi,

OK, well here's an update !

I got a new MB and a new set of 16 GB of RAM on 8 sticks.  The system now boots and I have video and post.

The new wall that I've hit is the two original drives in the server - there are two 72GB in the server that were

originally setup in a mirror for the OS  ..... they’re still in there but I need to rebuild the mirror and reinstall

the Windows 2003 R2 ….. any idea where I can find a how-to?

I’ll looking at the docs I can’t find how to setup the P400i controller that is in SLOT 0 to see the those drives. 

There is also a P800 that is plugged in to SLOT 2 and from there in to the Storageworks 60 MSA that’s empty right now – but that’s another issue for later (well it won’t be if I can find a deal on some cheap SAS drives - GRIN)

What do I need to do to get the orginial mirror setup ?  I do have a HP Proliant Essentails Foundation Pack and that has a Smart Start CD in it as well as an CD that says HP Managment and lastly a CD that says Smart Start Ver 7.90.

Any suggestions where to start?

Cheers'
Dave

dcason
Advisor

So it lives .... did a fresh install tonight with the Smart Start .......

How happy are DL 360 G5's in 64 bit ?  Anyone know ?

Cheers'

Dave