New Discussion

Re: Array for Windows + hdd for backup

vimak
Frequent Advisor

Array for Windows + hdd for backup

Good morning,
DL360 Gen9 P440ar
2 x SSD RAID 1 for Windows Server 2022
1 HDD for data backups (I insert, do backup and remove)

HDD I put it in Raid 0 (Windows does not see it, and the LED says not to remove it)
Is this right or do I have to leave it not assigned?
Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Rakesh0404
HPE Pro

I suggest not to remove the drives from the server, if it is an internal drive. 
If the drive is an external, that is not a problem. 
RAID 0 creation works as non-redundant drives, and data. If the Drive is removed or failed, the DATA saved in the drive will be lost. 

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
vimak
Frequent Advisor

Intelligent provisioner With a single HDD it only allows me to make raid 0 or leave not assigned, I leave it not assigned and then check it to Windows as a disc d?

Doing this way I shouldn't have the padlock on, and can I remove it after having backup?

Rakesh0404
HPE Pro

With one Drive it will always be standalone or RAID 0, but it will never have data redundancy. Due to single drive installed, and if ever the Drive removed or Failed, the data would be lost. 
Please go through the RAID explanation for better understanding on the RAID configuration. 
Link : https://www.booleanworld.com/raid-levels-explained/

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Sunitha_Mod

Hello @vimak,

Let us know if your concern has been addressed.

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with the answer then kindly mark the topic as Solved so that it is helpful for all community members.

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo