1747984 Members
4649 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Bought a DL380e G8 to use for FreeNAS

dhenzler
Occasional Advisor

Bought a DL380e G8 to use for FreeNAS

I understand the Raid controller needs to be disabled as FreeNAS wants to do this part.  Will I need to provide an SAS-9211-8i to connect drives or can the drives be accessed directly from the backplane & disabled Raid controller.

7 REPLIES 7
BPSingh
HPE Pro

Re: Bought a DL380e G8 to use for FreeNAS

Greetings!

Please "Enable SATA AHCI Support" for the HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i/B320i Controller from server RBSU. 

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03871499

The Hard drives can be accessed directly from the backplane with the controller set to AHCI mode.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
dhenzler
Occasional Advisor

The DL380e G8 that I have has 14 LFF drive bays.  From what I have gathered I can only access them using the on board controller and access 6 drives with the 120i or 320i controller.  The 420i has enough capacity to access them all.  I could also use a LSI SAS-9211-8i IT mode.  I don't want to use RAID on the server... let FreeNAS do it.  So what is your recommendation in order to access 12 drives or 14 drives...?Screenshot from 2019-12-18 16-15-17.pngScreenshot from 2019-12-18 16-15-50.png

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

It's been a few years since I've tested this. You can refer to this thread https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/DL380p-Gen8-P420i-exit-out-of-HBA-mode/m-p/6939006/highlight/true#M156401

Update the P420i to version 8 firmware or newer and you can switch it to HBA mode, or create 14 individual RAID 0 drives

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
dhenzler
Occasional Advisor

do the B120i and B320i have an HBA mode?  How many drives can they access in HBA mode?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@dhenzler wrote:

do the B120i and B320i have an HBA mode?  How many drives can they access in HBA mode?

The B120i / B320i are just standard SATA controllers (the 320 supports SAS with firmware/license), just set it to AHCI mode in RBSU.  They are software based RAID controllers,  a special driver provides the RAID functionality

Page 5 of the quickspec explain the various controller and drive options

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04128166

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
dhenzler
Occasional Advisor

Where do you obtain the firmware license, and at what cost?

If using the b120i on-board device how many drives can be accessed ?  I have 14 bays.

Dave

dhenzler
Occasional Advisor

Question is... how many can be accessed?

Started to contact HP on this and a pop up came on with someone to help me?  I really didn't ask for any help at this point.  After explaining my plight the HP person flooded me with a bunch of boiler plate about he couldn't quote prices.  Asked if I were selling it or if it was part of my company... I said... for personal use.  The HP person started to sign off, and I interrupted ans asked aprox what would the charge be for the "license key" to provide SAS on hardware that I already owned.  He said $1000 USD....

I could barely control myself.... LOL.. ha ha ha ha... you must think I'm an IDIOT... I'll just use a LSI SAS-9211-8i for $20 then...

HP needs to get on board with the facts of life... old equipment cannot demand license key prices in the US when the stuff is sold for pennies on the dollar.  I paid $110 for the DL-380eG8 and the thought of dropping $1,000 for a license key for SAS is BEYOND REASONABLE.

Make me wonder if you're hooked up with Oracle... they're in LA LA Land too.

Dave