1748128 Members
3875 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cache Module Status (Failed) on ProLiant DL380p Gen9 Server

Jerick
Occasional Visitor

Cache Module Status (Failed) on ProLiant DL380p Gen9 Server

I got a problem with "HP Smart Array P440ar Controller" of ProLiant DL380p Gen9 Server.

Devices status appeared Degraded on Smart Storage Battery and Storage.

May I know how to solve the issue?

10 REPLIES 10
vijay9
HPE Pro

Re: Cache Module Status (Failed) on ProLiant DL380p Gen9 Server

Hi Jerick

I hope this is DL380 Gen9 server, Cache module status failed 

Please find the below article for the reported issue. 

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c05302924

Regards,

Vijay 

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

z7x
Visitor

Hi,

I have the same problem and Smart Array P440ar Controller is already at the 7.00 firmware version.

I'd appreciate a piece of advice on this. Thanks

MichaelHum
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

What was the final solution? I too am experiencing the same type error.

- current configuration:

Proliant DL380 Gen 9 (system BIOS P89 v2.74 (07/21/2019) - the server is out of warranty - cant download the last BIOS updated, planning to replace server in 2024 - need the box running until the replacement server is purchased)

Smart Array P440ar Controller firmware version 7.0

Smart Storage battery model 727258-B21 / spare part 871264-01

Running VMware 6.5 Update 3 (build 20502893)

I was originally running a very old firmware version on the Smart Array P440ar Controller (unaware of the problem with the old firmware where this version would permanently disable the cache if the smart storage battery failed to hold a charge).

I replaced Smart Array P440ar Controller (the replacement was already upgraded to firmware version 7.0) and I replaced the Smart Storage battery.

The behaviour I am seeing now is, when the server is cold booted, the cache enables.  Then approximately 2 hours later the cache is degraged (ilo 4 version 2.82 reports the cache is degraded).  I cold boot the server and the same behaviour - cache is okay for about 2 hours (checked from ilo) and then ilo reports the cache is degraded.  

One of the many HPE public forms suggested trying a newer version of the Smart Storage battery (spare part 878643-001).    There is a lot of chatter on these forums about this behaviour with Smart Array P440ar Controller firmware 7.0.   What is the the fix?

Thanks,

Michael

Sunitha_Mod

@MichaelHum 

Hello Michael, 

Thank you for posting! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and guide you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
MichaelHum
Occasional Advisor

Hi Sunitha,

I'll start a new post for this topic.  Thanks!

Michael

z7x
Visitor

I replaced the battery 878643-001, and all returned to normal. I replaced the battery twice. The first one was either faulty or counterfeit, but the second one was fine.

MichaelHum
Occasional Advisor

Hi z7x,

I'm going give that a try (I just ordered a new battery - replacement part # 878643-001).

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.  Most appreciated.

Michael

MichaelHum
Occasional Advisor

For anyone following this thread...

Looks like the first battery I used was "bad".  The second battery fixed my problem.  The Cache is now okay and battery status is okay.

HayatuddeenKT
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

if i understand you that if i am facing a problem of drive array controller failure and i find out its cache module failure, i can replace the battery and my hp proliant server dl380p gen 8 will work simlessly?