1753359 Members
5899 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Disk failure at shutdown

B_Schanche
Occasional Visitor

Disk failure at shutdown

I have a situation with a Proliant Server which has had a disk failure and now will not boot to the Windows OS we had installed.  The background is as follows:  The server was temporarily removed from its rack while we did some organization and installation of new equipment.  We had it online from a temporary location and running normally.  About 3 weeks ago, we noticed a prefailure light on one of the disks.  There are 4 disks total, two pairs set up in RAID, and each containing one volume visible to the Windows server running on the hardware.  The failed disk was the disk in slot two, and one of the ones with the volume housing the OS.  We ordered a replacement and hot-swapped the disk.  Fast forward to yesterday.  Everything has been running normally since the disk replacement.  I powered down the Windows OS on the server and the hardware automatically powered down to stand by and all disk activity was off.  I racked the server and attempted to power it on.  The new replacement disk came up with warning of full failure.  iLo indicates a fault with the disk.  The hardware powers on and attempts to find an OS to, run but does not.

My thought is that the hot-swapped disk would be seen by the RAID controller and everything would move forward automatically.   Even if something happened to that replaced, second disk, shouldn't normal operations have occurred, albeit with a warning that the RAID controller didn't have a second disk to mirror to?

Any thoughts on what might have happened?  Is there anything at this point to attempt to recover?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
SudhakarP10
HPE Pro

Re: Disk failure at shutdown

Hi 

The disk in slot2 has show predictive failure and has been replaced with new one and new one also showed failed before rebuilding. I hope the RAID1 for OS with other drive is still good and working in degraded state. 

if the server fails to boot to OS with the new drive installed, put back the old drive back in slot2 and check if that boot up to the OS. and replace with drive in slot2 with the another new one.

server should boot up with 1 working drive in a degraded volume mode. if the issue persists contact HPE support with the logs. AHS and ADU or slot report.

Regards

Sudhakar

HPE Employee

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo