1754299 Members
2708 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 Gen11 does not see HPE NVMe drives

Pehon
Regular Visitor

DL360 Gen11 does not see HPE NVMe drives

I've just got my fist Gen11 server and I'm unable to get the HPE NVMe drives running. I did the following steps:

1. plug in only 2x NVMe disk (no other disks are in the drive bays)
  2. install latest SPP (P62618_001_gen11spp-2023.04.00.00-SPP2023040000.2023_0305.21.iso)
  3. enabled Intel VMD and Intel VROC in RBSU
  4. reset server
  5. "No disks connected to system" (under System Configuration, Intel Virtual Raid on CPU, Intel VROC Managed GMD

If I put only Samsung SATA SSD's in the drive bays I can configure them with VROC.

Did I miss something?

Server: P51932-421 (HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen11 5415+ 2.9GHz 8-core 1P 32GB-R NC 8SFF 800W PS Server)
Disk: P50227-B21 (HPE 1.6TB NVMe Gen4 High Performance Mixed Use SFF BC U.3 PM1735a SSD)

5 REPLIES 5
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: DL360 Gen11 does not see HPE NVMe drives

Hi,

Please refer to the Intel VROC doc and server cabling.

Thank You!
I work with HPE but opinions expressed here are mine.
HPE Tech Tips videos on How To and Troubleshooting topics

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Pehon
Regular Visitor

@Suman_1978 

I can confirm that the settings from "Intel VROC" are set (VMD Support to Enable All CPU NVMe Root Ports and License to None or Standard (test were done with both)).

The cabling was done by factory and looking correct:
The backplane is labeled with "NVMe/SAS", so that should be the correct one.
Backplane P40444-01 / P38494-211
Backplane Power Cable P43729-001
Backplane Data Cable P43732-001

The NVMe Disk LED will flash shorty after poweron the server, but never later. The NVMe are the only Disk in the drive bays.

I have two servers, with exactly the same configuration, and more than one NVMe Disk. From my point of view this doesn't look like a faulty component.

What can I do, to get the NVMe Disk running?

If I put in only SATA disk in the drive bays - they are ok. Interestingly, only in Bay 1-4 I can see them, in Bay 5-8 they are not shown in ILO/Bios/OS. But that might be another issue.

Thank you!

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Do you have any other NVMe drives that you can test with in the same slots?
As its a new server, I would suggest to contact HPE Support and log a ticket.

Thank You!
I work with HPE but opinions expressed here are mine.
HPE Tech Tips videos on How To and Troubleshooting topics

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Pehon
Regular Visitor

I bought 4x P50227-B21, and using two for testing with different drive bays. I do not have another U.3 drives and they are difficult to get.

I've got this message from HPE Support, unfortunately no further conversation...
"This is to inform you that HPE Support case 5377561371 has been created and an HPE Support representative will assist you further to resolve your issue/query."

Bunsol
HPE Pro

Refer to below user guide and select the topic cabling
https://internal.support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=sd00002444en_us&page=GUID-EBDE0230-AC29-4557-AC37-8E39F42ED9CA.html

Refer to the cabling diagrams to verify that we have correct cabling done. If the drives have LED meaning that the backplane is receiving power and we can focus on the cabling part. 

If cabling is correct and stil does not detect then request you to raise a support ticket:-
https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/?language=en_US

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!
I am an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo