New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 variable fan speed

SOLVED
Go to solution
martin van es
Occasional Advisor

hey RGP (don't know your name),

I will have a look later on to see if i can read the temperature/fan speeds. I think i saw them once a while back. so i guess the health driver is loaded.

I know they are servers, and normaly noise is not realy a big concern on them. We also have them in a seperate room. But the door to the room is in the office, and since it is not a real good isolating door... you can hear the servers in the office.

And i also don't see any reliabillity concerns when turning the fans down more if temperature allows it.

Noice should be taken into concideration more i think in servers. I also worked for a internet company a while.. and when i had to work in the server room for a while, where A LOT of servers were located, i realy get crazy with all the noice.

But... reading your replies, and surfing a bit, i'm beginning to think there is no solution for this problem right now :-S

Also part of the problem i think is the fan quality. they are good quality i guess, but also produce quite some noice...there are fans that produce far less noice. But i guess they can not be replaced with other brands of fans?
And also the airflow is a part of the problem i think. tin the front there is almost no room for the air to be sucked in. so it has to be sucked thru the little openings between the hard drives, and arround the hard drive connecting prints. this causes a lot of turbulence and thus noice.

p.s. excuse me if i make some english spellign mistakes. I'm dutch and my english is not as perfect as i would have liked it to be :-)
RGP
Frequent Advisor

Hi Martin,
You are right.. it looks like.. we have to live with it for now. HP may think of some sort of software / user control over the fan and temp control in future. Atleast lets hope so. I am sorry.. if I sounded rude..
Rgds,
Roy
martin van es
Occasional Advisor

ok...

Thanks for your help so far...
and you never sounded rude :-)

see you again on the next problem ;-)

Martin
NMory
Respected Contributor

Martin:

I know that the DL360G4 are lowder than the DL380G4, in fcat, DL 380G4 always start in full speed and then they slow their fan speed, til reach and normal sound (not like a huracane). I have seen plenty DL380G4 and they are not that loud. Again the 360s are louder. Have you called HP at some point.

This is what I would do:

1-Make sure I have the latest BIOS.
2-Download and install the latest Proliant Support Pack: the whole thing, including System Management Homepage to monitor the fans.

I am assuming you have Windows 2003:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/69_5561.html

In that link you can download everything related to your Servers and Windows 2003.

4-Apply all the available firmwares in that link, according to the hardware you have.

If you have done that, you can call HP, to see if they can send an engineer to check your server, and to bring a couple of fans and the fan cage (could be a problem with it).

5-Also make sure to reseat hard enough all the components available.

Regards,

LNassar