ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1754403 Members
3141 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380G5 and HP LSI Ultra 320 Scsi

Stewart Myles

Re: DL380G5 and HP LSI Ultra 320 Scsi

We are having the same problem on a DL380 G3 and a DL380 G5, the U320 LSI card is being used on both machines with PCI-x and PCI-e variants. The storport driver has been installed as both machines have Qlogic fibre cards as well. It's driving us nuts the backup appears to work OK if the card is swapped out for a U160. We'll try the suggestions above and post the results.
Stewart Myles

We have changed from the LSI driver (1.24.4.0) to the Microsoft one and are now getting successful backups, also the LSI appears to work OK if an Ultrium LTO1 or 2 were used.
Carl D

I have had this problem with both Commvault and Symantec Backup Exec on ML350G5 servers with HP LTO 3 and 4 tape drives and libraries. Three servers in total so far. All servers are Server 2008 x64. The only fix was to stop the HP services to stop the SCSI errors during backup which is bad for me as we use them to alert us of drive failuers etc.

However I have managed to get a fix out of HP after long calls to the helpdesk and escalations.

The steps are as follows:
1 Open Windows regedit.

2 Open the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\[device identifier name for the tape LTO-3 tape device]\[numeric device instance id for the LTO-3 tape device]\Device Parameters\

3 Add a key named Storport under Device Parameters (if there is not one there already).

4 Add a key name called BusyRetryCount. The key type is REG_DWORD, and the value should be set to 4b hex (75 decimal).

**WARNING!
I FOUND 75 DID NOT WORK ON 2008. IT DID ALLOW THE BACKUP TO GET FURTHER BUT FAILED WITH SCSI ERRORS AGAIN. SOME KB's INDICATED THAT SERVER 2008 SHOULD HAVE THE VALUE SET TO 250 DECIMAL (FA IN HEX). THIS WORKED FINE AFTER USING 250. APPARENLTY THE MAX VALUE IS 500 IF YOU CONTINUE TO HAVE ISSUES.

5 Exit Regedit.

6 Reboot the server.

Note: Make sure you have a good backup of the system before making any registry changes since incorrect registry changes can result in unstable system operation, or could even result in the system to fail during boot.

Hopefully this helps.
Russell Blakely

Carl D's registry edit has resolved this for me. This is running Windows Server 2008 32 bit, with the DWORD value set to 250, and the HP SCSI agent enabled.

I got confused about where the DWORD entry is supposed to be. What worked is to create the key Storport as a sub-key of

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\[device identifier name for the tape LTO-3 tape device]\[numeric device instance id for the LTO-3 tape device]\Device Parameters\

so that you are then in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\[device identifier name for the tape LTO-3 tape device]\[numeric device instance id for the LTO-3 tape device]\Device Parameters\Storport

Within the Storport key, create the DWORD value named BusyRetryCount and set value to 250 decimal.
JulianBlue

Thank you, setting the BusyRetryCount value to 250 decimal worked for me.

Server Proliant ML 350 G5
PSP: 8.30, hp agents running.
Tape Drive: HP Ultrium 1760 LTO4 internal
HBA: LSI 320 SCSI w1020/1030
Software: CA ArcServe Backup 12.5

Backup was always failing at about 50/60 GB.
Arcserve returned error "E6304 Unexpected SCSI Sense Code".
With the above fix is now backing up successfully the required 110GB.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Anastasescu Razvan

Hi all,

- Server: DL380G4;
- HBA: LSI Ultra320;
- Tape drive: external 1/8 G2 LTO4 AutoLoader
- Backup software: Symantec BackupExec 12.5

-> the very same errors.

After I've tried all the possibilities found on the internet, updating all the firmware and drivers, adding and removing BackupExec patches, changing buffers, settings, and so on, for almost a week (but not changing the SCSI Adapter or the Drive which was brand new) I've found this thread, searching for the "SCSISTAT_QUEUE_FULL" error from tracer.exe (SCSI monitor tool from Symantec) and then the "HP WMI Storage Provider".

All my backups were dropping randomly after 5, 16, 37, 54, 80, 101, 110, 147, etc GBytes of data. My guess was that it is NOT a hardware error.

I can confirm, that after disabling all Insight Agents + WMI Storage Provider and then uninstalling completely HP Insight Agents I can now backup everything I want. Already done two full backups of 260 GB in a row.

I want to mention that by first trying with the Agents and WMI Storage Provider services ON but disabled only the SCSI Agent from Control Panel / HP Insight Agents did not succeed for me.

Thank you very much for this thread !
Razvan
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Tape drive and HBA firmware version update?
Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

Anastasescu Razvan

Autoloader firmware 2.80
Drive firmware W51W
Alessandro Baldoni
Occasional Contributor

Same problem, same solution.

My system: DL380 G4, Windows 2008 64bits, MSL4048 U320, Tivoli Storage Manager.