108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380p Gen 8: Keep USB ports powered after power off

SOLVED
Go to solution
PenProd
Occasional Contributor

DL380p Gen 8: Keep USB ports powered after power off

I rent rack space for my Proliant server. I only have one ethernet cable going to the server but I need two - the second for iLO. To accomodate that, I've built in a small switch that's powered by 5V and only consumes about 200mW of power. It can be powered through a USB port. The problem is that the DL380p does not power the USB ports when it's switched off. In other words, if the server powers down, the switch also loses power and I'm no longer able to reach iLO. So I won't be able to switch the server back on again remotely.

With desktop PCs, there's usually a setting in the BIOS to keep the USB ports powered.

Does the DL380p has such an option? If not, is there anywhere else I can get 5V from?

5 REPLIES 5
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: DL380p Gen 8: Keep USB ports powered after power off

Hello,

The "HP ROM-Based Setup Utility User Guide" does not indicate that there any settings for enabling any powered USB, meaning that it does not transmit power when in powered off state. The "HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8 Server's QuickSpecs" does not state that any of the USB are powered slots. Hence this server does not provide this capability natively, nor there appears to be an HPE option that supports requirement.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Rakesh0404
HPE Pro

HI, As per the server model and the RBSU user guide, there is no option that the USB power will stay on, when the server is powered off.

It is better to use an external power source for the switch to stay on and user the ILO option as needed. 

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Cali
Honored Contributor
Solution

I would approach the problem differently because you don't need this switch at all.

The iLO has a feature called "Shared iLO", so you can use LAN and iLO over the same network cable.

You activate it in the iLO GUI.

Enabling the iLO Shared Network Port through the iLO web interface | HPE iLO 4 2.82 User Guide

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
PenProd
Occasional Contributor

Thanks!

I was looking for an option like that but was unable to find it before.

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @PenProd,

Perfect! 

We are glad to know your concern has been addressed. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo