1763988 Members
3414 Online
108921 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Drives not visible to OS nor boot screen

Renrick
Frequent Visitor

Drives not visible to OS nor boot screen

I performed a reset via RBSU. After this I can't see the drives to install OS nor do they show up below the Raid controller. I have a DL380e gen8 server. When I  press F5 it hangs at 100%..  I have updated the bios, ILO, and reinstall the IP to latest. I use IP from ISO to create array as the F10 option does not work. The Raid controller shows 1 Logical volume but not the actual drives when the server boots up. Anyone have this issue and knows how to solve it? I will greatly appreciate any feedback.  I'm out of options. Been at it for 4 days with no success.

8 REPLIES 8
support_s
System Recommended

Query: Drives not visible to OS nor boot screen - Prolaint server - DL380e gen8

System recommended content:

1. HPE ProLiant DL380e Gen8 Server Series - LED Indicators

2. HP ProLiant DL380e Gen8 Server series - Software and Configuration Utilities

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

thutchings
HPE Pro

Hello,

What controller are you using in this server? I would expect that if the reset to defaults in the BIOS made it no longer visible then it is likely a software based controller, but it would be good to make sure.

Regards

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

What is the specific OS type and version that you are trying to install?

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Renrick
Frequent Visitor

The controller is the B320i. I thought I answer this as it came via private msg but realize it's not updated on the forum.

Renrick
Frequent Visitor

OpenSuse 15.5. I tried other boot media such as win10, server 2016 just to see if the issue was with the boot media I was using and same issue not seeing any drives. However as previously mentioned I am seeing the drives via the HP Storage Administrator.

BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

Kindly attempt to install a supported operating system on the server.

https://techlibrary.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/windows.aspx#dl

Additionally, since the controller is a B120i, you will need to manually install the drivers during the installation process.

https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=en_US&softwareId=MTX_abaa5952034546cf8b66d214e9&tab=releaseNotes

Download and extract the driver to a USB drive formatted as FAT32, and then attempt to upload it through the "load driver" option during installation.

Instructions: 

* Extract the files on to a USB key.
* Boot the server with the Windows 2016 ISO it will come to the screen \" Where do you want to install windows \" & below user will see option load driver.
* Click on load driver & browse to the USB Key location where the extracted B320i Drivers are located & continue.
* Now the controller gets enabled & user will see the hard drives to select for the Windows Installation.
* Continue with the installation.

I am an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
Renrick
Frequent Visitor

That solution was tried by one of my associate using Windows 10 and he was able to install the OS.  However it doesn't answer my question as to why this has happen and how to get the server back to a state where it was able to see the two 1TB drives after the B320i Raid controller initialized. You mentioned supported operating system, but please note that I previously had Centos installed just prior to the issue I experience, And immediately prior to my post I was able to install Opensuse 15.5 without any issue.. I had mistakenly install opensuse on the drive 2 instead of drive 1. So what was happening was I had both opensuse and centos options with Centos as primary  and I didn't want that so that's what prompted me to perform a reset from Bios. I hope this bring more clarity.

BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

The reason for this issue is that the OS media does not include the B320i driver, and you need to manually supply the drivers, assuming the controller is enabled in the BIOS.

You have confirmed that for windows, loading drivers during installation works. 

For Linux, please refer to the following web link where the notes for the server indicate that "The HPE Dynamic Smart Array B110i/B120i/B320i controller requires a closed-source driver from HPE."

https://techlibrary.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/redhat_linux.aspx

You can also refer to the "Installing device drivers" section on page 11 of the web link below, which offers more detailed information on installing drivers for both Windows and Linux OS.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c03326739

I am an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo