ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1755601 Members
3657 Online
108836 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Expanding RAID 5 volume on Smart Array 5300 controller

Anjum Iqbal

Expanding RAID 5 volume on Smart Array 5300 controller

I am trying to add 2 more disks to an existing 6 disks RAID-5 using Smart Array 5300 controller card.

According to the documentation, as soon as i add new disks i should be able to see them in the Array Config Utility, but that not happening for me. However i can see these disks in Windows 2000 Disk management as seperate disks.

How can i add these disks to my exisiting RAID-5 ?

current SA5300 controller driver version is 5.40.2.0 and the Firmware revision is 2.32
6 REPLIES 6
Girma Kassa_1
Advisor

Re: Expanding RAID 5 volume on Smart Array 5300 controller

Hi Anjum,

To answer your question briefly Array need to be expanded prior. These will provided you unused space which can be used for an extending an exising logical drive or creat a new logical drive.

It is recommended you have current back up, update the controller to current firmware as per below link
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/20193.html
as well as hard drive firmware and controller drivers.

For additional info on expansion and extension can review the 'Array Configuration Utility User Guide' by searching below part 239449-004 under Hp home page.

Good luck

Girma

This life is not a rehearsal to any other life and live your dream !!!
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Are you sure the backplane your connectedto is is connected to the Array Controller?

It sounds as if your drives are connected to a standard SCSI controller, giving your OS direct managability.

The SA controller should not automatically create 2 new logical disks when you add the disks. The fact that ACU does not see them is a good indication that they are not connected to the SA.

Which server is this?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Anjum Iqbal

Hi Steve,
This is compaq ML 530 server. has 12 bays for the disks. The ACU shows 6 disks cuurently being used for RAID-5. how do i check if the other 6 bays are connected to the controller?
Girma Kassa_1
Advisor

Hi Anjum,

Is this ML 530 a Generation two server, if it is. The server have SCSI A and B connectors ship installed and connected to internal Drive Cages 1 and 2 from the integrated SCSI controller connections on the system board.

The cables are colored Blue (SCSI A) and Yellow (SCSI B). Make sure both cables are connected to the Smart array 5300 controller, it seems one cable is still connnected to scsi on the system board, that is why Hard drives are detected.

Girma
Anjum Iqbal

Hey Girma,

The yello wcable thats connected to the Smart Array 5300 is coming from the tape drive. there is another yellow cable connected to the system board. shoudl i switch or is there a way to connect the third one to the array controller?

Your replies are much appreciated.
Girma Kassa_1
Advisor

Hi Anjum,

Is this server ML 530 G2 if it is there should be One yellow which came with server
one side get connected on system board and other end to 2nd drive cage. In this case you have it to the tape drive.

You need another point to point scis cable from controller to the back of the 2nd drive cage.

Here is the link for the server installation guide for more description on cabling.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_225579-002-e/TPM_225579-002-e.pdf

Girma