ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1758623 Members
1895 Online
108874 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: failover( active/standby) raid controllers and failover (active/standby) NICs

Brian Chow_1

failover( active/standby) raid controllers and failover (active/standby) NICs

Can someone please direct me to documentation on how to configure failover RAID controllers and NIC cards? I need to do this on Proliant ML530 G2 and 380 servers. Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Re: failover( active/standby) raid controllers and failover (active/standby) NICs

Hello Brian;

Neither of those servers has an option to configure fail-over controllers.

They have hot-plug pci slots that allow you to hot-swap, hot-add and hot-remove a pci card.

Hope this helps,

Janine Bertolo
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

You can do NIC Teaming (also known as Network Fault Tolerance). Check this link for more info:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/networking/teaming.html

Depending on the OS, you could force a dual disk controller configuration using OS mirroring at the disk LUN level, rather than at the HW level. You basically start off with 2 disk controllers, each conencted to a different set of disks. Then, when you select 2 LUNs to mirror (like in windows Disk Admin), you have to make sure that each of the LUNs are on a separate controller, and then by selecting mirroring for them, you have in fact made redundant controllers. This is sometimes called controller duplexing.

However, there are tradeoffs to this. All of the disk administration and management of the mirror sets is done manually through the OS utilities, and can sometimes get tricky (especially if you have a failure and have to recover). Hardware based RAID sets are much, much easier to manage.

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo