1755082 Members
3980 Online
108829 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Fan speed and energy consumption DL180 G5

Wilbert Snijders
Occasional Contributor

Fan speed and energy consumption DL180 G5

We bought a new HP DL180 G5. The server is way too loud and uses too much power while it is running on idle most of the time.

Ipmitool can be used to monitor fan speeds and voltages, but it is not possible to change the fan speed using ipmitool.

How can we reduce the fan speed and energy consumption?
5 REPLIES 5
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Fan speed and energy consumption DL180 G5

The DL180 is designed for data center use, not deskside use, so its acoustics will always be louder than a desktop. According to the QuickSpec, the DL180G5 is rated at 51dB at both operating and idle.
Wilbert Snijders
Occasional Contributor

In my opinion it is an unnecessary waste of energy to have 4 fans blowing at approx. 6000 rpm for an idle server. Even every cheap PC clone nowadays has an option to reduce fan speed, so I would expect a professional server to have that option. Reading through the forum a lot of people owning DL100 server are having the same issue with these servers. Isn't HP going to provide a solution?
Antonio Marchisio

I totally agree. The noise is driving me crazy. I will have to build a special "bunker" to avoid hearing the noise in all floor.
Wilbert Snijders
Occasional Contributor

@Antonio,

I have not been able to get a solution or even a decent reply from HP for this noise and energy consumption issue. They are just not interested and all you get are lame excuses, like the one above.

Just remember this when you have to buy new servers...

By the way, I got to an acceptable noise level, but I had to do some custom soldering and a lot of testing to make sure the server doesn't overheat at maximum power.

Of course warranty is void now, but with support like this, I will take that chance :-)
Prabhu Raj
Frequent Advisor

Please check the room temperature. The optimum room temperature would be 18 deg Celsius to 21 degree Celsius.
When the room temperature is high, the fan tends to rotate at high speed to dissipate the internal server heat and cause high noise.
Also check the dirt conditions of the room and inside server.