1758098 Members
2738 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion

Gen11 Service Pack for ProLiant Version 2024.04.00.00

MikeJKuhn
Occasional Advisor

Gen11 Service Pack for ProLiant Version 2024.04.00.00

Anyone know why the current SPP: https://techlibrary.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/products/service_pack/spp/#/index.aspx?version=gen11.2024.04.00.00

Does not run on ProLiant Microserver Gen10 Plus v2 and ProLiant ML350 Gen 11? 

I get a root prompt after software loads and you select either Automatic or Interactive.

I recently had a support ticket in and the Tech's assigned did not know (they told me to create a bootable USB for this), so an alternate means to resolve issue had to be used. If support Tech's don't know then. . .What!

Also, previous version did not run either.

11 REPLIES 11
thutchings
HPE Pro

Re: Gen11 Service Pack for ProLiant Version 2024.04.00.00

Hello,

Can you provide more information on how this is being done? Are you booting the ISO using the iLO virtual media? If so, is it with the HTML5 console or the .net? Does it actually work if you use the bootable USB?

It is possible if you are using the HTML5 console it may be timing out while booting the ISO. The ISO is fairly large and HTML5 console is much slower than the other types of iLO remote console options that are/were available. It would be interesting to see if the same problem occurs if you put the ISO on a local webserver and mount it from there using the option under Remote Console & Media -> Virtual Media.

Regards

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
MikeJKuhn
Occasional Advisor

As indicated in the original post. . . (they told me to create a bootable USB for this), 

SO, I used a bootable USB. SPP loads, displays some HPE screens comes up with TWO options   Automatic or Interactive.

Regardless of selection the app drops to root prompt, which is a "#" sign.

MikeJKuhn
Occasional Advisor

I should add that this WAS NOT REMOTE. This is USB that is plugged into server and booted with one time boot option. opened by selecting F9 on power up.

Prashanth_K
HPE Pro

I believe after selecting Automatic or Interactive mode, the system copies the root file system image to the ram disk and mounts it. This will take some time to load. 

Refer to this video for more clarification,
https://internal.support.hpe.com/hpesc/videoDisplay?videoId=vtc00020151en_us 

I am an HPE Employee
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Accept or Kudo

thutchings
HPE Pro

Hello,

I thought you meant the bootable USB was the recommendation from HPE when you ran into the "original problem" (dropping to root shell). 

I tested this out against a ML350 Gen11 in the lab environment with an interactive update. This worked fine.

I am not sure I would place any significance in not be able to boot on the Microserver since this ISO is specifically meant for Gen11 servers.  I suspect something in the configuration of your server hardware could be interfering with the ability to continue to boot through the SPP and load the web server. What type of hardware configuration do you have in this server?

Regards

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
MikeJKuhn
Occasional Advisor

Here is the screen after selectin Automatic or Interactive.

How did you create the USB? I used what HP Tech support told me use. (rufus.ie) There is an app on HP site from 2017 but it does not allow selection of USB drive.

P_20240429_105817-2.jpg

MikeJKuhn
Occasional Advisor

@thutchings @Prashanth_K Regarding the Microserver, I tried an earlier release of the SPP that was pointed to via Microserver Gen10 info. 2023 date maybe last Oct.

What do you use to make the bootable USB?  HP Tech support had me use rufus.ie

MikeJKuhn
Occasional Advisor

The Microserver Gen10 Plus V2 is as it comes, plus 32GB, 1 TB drive and 4TB drive. No iLo.

MikeJKuhn
Occasional Advisor

Not able to watch video, something has to change in my account to allow access.