2332 Online
109005 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Gigabit NIC will only do a maximum of 100mbps

peanutbutter
Frequent Visitor

Gigabit NIC will only do a maximum of 100mbps

Hi all,

I have a ProLiant DL360 G9 server with an HPE Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331i Adapter (built in NIC's). I have been having issues with all 4 interfaces running at a maximum of 100mbps full duplex auto-negotiated. I suspected this was an issue with VMware, it's current OS, but it appears that it also affects Windows and Linux OS's as well.

I booted into the system setup and went over to the adapter and my options stop at 100mbps - so I assume this is an issue with the firmware itself. Attached is how it looks.

Is there anything I can do to diagnose this issue further? I have already replaced cabling, swapped cables, ports on the switch, setting to full duplex gig in ESX and on the switch, with no luck. This is plugging directly into a Cisco Catalyst 3850, as well as a Dell PowerEdge R610 and an ML350 G9, which both work at full gig.

Thanks in advance!BIOS Setup

5 REPLIES 5
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Gigabit NIC will only do a maximum of 100mbps

Hello,

You may clear the server's NVRAM

To do so, the server needs to be powered on with the System Maintenance Switch position 'S6' to "On" position, and after a POST message indicates that a system maintenance switch is turned on, to reverse the switch position. You may perform the following to achieve this:

1. Refer to item number 4 of the diagram titled "System board components" on page 13 of the HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen9 Server's User Guide for the position of the system maintenance.
  2. Power off the server and remove the power cable from the power supplies and remove the access panel.
  3. Identify the system maintenance switch in the manner aforesaid and set switch 'S6' from its default position of "Off" to "On".
  4. Replace the access panel and connect the power cables to the power supplies and power on the server.
  5. When a message indicates that a system maintenance switch is turned on and needs to be turned off, then power off the server.
  6. Remove the power cables from the power supplies.
  7. Remove the access panel and reverse the switch 'S6' from position "On" to its default position "Off".
  8. Replace the access panel, connect the power cables to the power supplies and power on the server.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

peanutbutter
Frequent Visitor

@TVVJ 

Hi,

I just tried this, no luck - I am still reading 100mbps.

Thank you for the recommendation

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hello,

In the server UEFI System Utilities, ensure that the "Maximum PCI Express Speed" is set to "Maximum Supported" and that the power profile is either "Balanced Power and Performance" or "Maximum Performance".

To access the UEFI System Utilities, restart or power on the server and during the POST prompt press the key 'F9'.

If this is not helping, then attempt restoring default System Settings. You may click on the ensuing hypelink to know about "Restore Default System Settings"

If it still does not help, then attempt restoring default manufacturing settings. You may click on the ensuing hypelink to know about "Restoring default manufacturing settings".

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

ManBha
HPE Pro

Hello,

Can we isolate by swapping the cables from working server and also using the same switch ports as working server.

Thanks.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Cali
Honored Contributor

Did you try to plug the Cable from NIC Port 1 into Port 2?

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.