2885 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

Help Removing / Disabling Smart Array P440 Controller on DL20 G9

vberroa
Occasional Contributor

Help Removing / Disabling Smart Array P440 Controller on DL20 G9

Hello, 

I have multiple DL20 G9 4SFF with hot swap and I need to replace the Smart Array P440 Controller with a HP Ethernet 10G 2-port 546SFP+ Adapter. When I remove the card from the board the Fan #3 stays above 50% making it really loud. What would be the way to make these server work whithout the P440 and have the fans to work normal at 6% like they normally do?  On these server I wont be needing any storage at all since they will boot from a USB . Also cant leave the P440 controller in there because the 546SFP+ Adapter that I have doesnt have the low profile bracket; so it needs to go where the P440 is .

Any advice?

1 REPLY 1
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Re: Help Removing / Disabling Smart Array P440 Controller on DL20 G9

Hi,

This seems to be known condition which is matching as per below advisory:

Advisory: HPE ProLiant DL20 Gen9 Server - Fan May Frequently Run at a High Speed on Certain HPE ProLiant DL20 Gen9 Servers

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00003578en_us

On certain HPE ProLiant DL20 Gen9 servers, the system fan may frequently run at a high speed. This can occur if the temperature sensor reading of certain components is unavailable due to any of the following:

• The driver or firmware may be outdated or may be uninstalled
  • The Hard Drive is running in AHCI or Legacy mode
  • Certain third-party PCI cards are installed
  • No storage drive is installed

This is an expected behavior if to the internal temperature sensor of the corresponding components do not report correctly, and the ambient sensor takes over the protection.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo