ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1755383 Members
3679 Online
54811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to replace a faulty Hard disc in Proliant ML150 Server

Sanjay Baheti

How to replace a faulty Hard disc in Proliant ML150 Server

I have Proliant ML150 server with Raid 5 controller and 3 SCSI hard discs (hot plug. It is giving a fault of one hard disc and on booting it says RAID degraded.
Right now the server is OFF.
How do I replace the hard drive? Do I replace it with a new one and then start the server or do I start the server in a RAID degraded configuration and then after it has fully started, I swap the faulty hard disc with a new one?
Any chances of data/OS loss?
Also, if I take a complete backup, will it install all the system softwares too or just the data?
Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Azamat
Frequent Advisor

Re: How to replace a faulty Hard disc in Proliant ML150 Server

Hi,
Sanjay you`ve server with hot plug hdd, is it right? if yep, so you no need to power off server for replacing hdd, of course if you have Smart Array (i thing you have SM 641).
But be very carefully when powering up this server, when it`ll power on the raid array will show error and ask about actions (press F1 or press F2, by default it`ll be continue after 30-60 sec by F2, so you no need to press any keys on the keyboard!!!) replace hdd: 1) plug out failed hdd; 2)wait for 10 sec; 3)put new one disk 4)be happy - like Bob Marly said:)
Azamat
Frequent Advisor

Re: How to replace a faulty Hard disc in Proliant ML150 Server

ohh, sorry, forgot to say!!! pay attention, you should use same model disk, same capacity same speed, preffered same firmware etc.