4239 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to setup hp proliant dl380 g9 using embeded vshpere

AmrKhatab89
Occasional Advisor

How to setup hp proliant dl380 g9 using embeded vshpere

Hello Everyone,

I have a hp proliant dl380 g9 server and I need to install Windows server 2012 r2, vshpere which is embedded in the intelligent provisioning.

Can I install the Vsphere first and then Install the Windows server 2012 r2, please let me know the exact steps to install Windows server 2012 r2 and the server can be managed from my computer using vsphere,

Thanks for your support.

6 REPLIES 6
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: How to setup hp proliant dl380 g9 using embeded vshpere

AmrKhatab89:

It sounds like you want to first install the vSphere Hyperviser on the server and then create a virtual machine running Windows Server 2012 R2.  Is this the goal?

Or are you looking to install Windows Server 2012 R2 diectly on the server as a physical installation?

What kind of storage does your server have?  How many and what size harddrives or solid state drives does it have?  Does it have a MicroSD Flash Memory Card?

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
AmrKhatab89
Occasional Advisor

Dear Steven,

Yes I want to install vSphere Hyperviser on the server then I want to create a virtual machine running Windows Server 2012 R2, my server has 3 physical hard disks merged in one array RAID 5, each HDD is 300 GB SAS HDD.

Please let me know how to do that, and I want also to attach My Cloud ex4100 through network, can it be.

Thanks

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Well, the first thing you need to do is download the appropriate VMware Hyperviser from vmware.com.  Since you are using a ProLiant Server, you probably want the Custom HPE iso.  Links can be found here: https://www.hpe.com/us/en/servers/hpe-esxi.html

If you just want a free version, check the Vmware site: https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi6

Use the iso that is downloaded, attached to the iLo virtual CDROM, or make a CD or USB bootable device with it and boot the server.  The installer should auto run.  Finish the installation wizard and your system should be set up with a datastore that is several hundred GB's in size.

Using the web based configuration tool for the ESXi Hypervisor (after you configure an IP address on the server), upload the Windows iSO to the datastore.

Using the same utility, create a new virtual machine, attach the Windows iso to it and turn it on.  Complete the Windows Installation Widard and you will have a windows VM.

Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
AmrKhatab89
Occasional Advisor

Dear Steven,

Thanks for your reply, I made all disks in one RAID 5 array, and I have installed the VMware esxi server, but I need now to know the best specs for the virtual server which will be windows server 2012 R2, could you please give me your recommendations about the server specs like the HDD space and RAM and other specs, 

Thanks aagain for your support.

AmrKhatab89
Occasional Advisor

Dear Everyone,

I have install VMware Esxi v6.0 and Windows Server 2012 R2 as well on the server, I need the first operating system on the physical server to open be Windows Server 2012 R2, I added that windows server 2012 r2 image through VMware Esxi 6.0 .

Please let me know what things I have to do to make Windows Server 2012 R2 is showing on the physical screen attached to the server.

Thanks,

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You cannot access (as far as I know) the console of a vitual machine running on an ESXi Host.  You need to connect to the Web UI of the host with a supported browser and then open the console from there... remotely from a computer with a web browser.

Did you use the Web UI to create a virtual machine to install your Windows OS? or did you just upload the Windows ISO to the disk somehow?

Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE