5316 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Proliant DL180 G6 RAID issue

azkerm
Advisor

HP Proliant DL180 G6 RAID issue

Hi There!

Just to understand that have a DL180 G6 server which is outdated (I know), and we're just using it as backup server. This server is configured with RAID 6 using the smart array P410 controller and is currently on degrade mode. 

Out of the 12 disks on bay, 3rd bay disk showed it was rebuilding while the 8th bay showed a predictive failure until yesterday. Below seen is the result till yesterday.RAID-P1.PNG

So, I let it rebuild to see what's happening and then the result showed as below; (as at today)RAID-P2.PNG

My question is, when I saw the predictive failure itself, I had order for a disk making sure I have everything ready in case of multiple disk failures. 

Now my question is, since the 3rd bay shows that its failed, can I hot-swap the disk while the 8th bay shows rebuilding? Is it recommended or should I wait until the rebuilding process complete.

1 REPLY 1
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Re: HP Proliant DL180 G6 RAID issue

RAID 6 will survive with two failed disks. But I would recommend to wait for the rebuild to finish and then replace the failed disk first. If the predictive error persists replace that disk too... after another rebuild.

I don't know if the controller can rebuild two drives at once or if it will do one after the other. Anyway it is always better to do one step after the other.

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"