AARM
Occasional Contributor

Hp Proliant Dl360 gen10 Hyper-V 2 nodes failover cluster and licensing

Hello there,

i have this situation

two identical server
Hp Proliant DL360 g 10
32 gb ram
3 x sas 2TB disk ( in raid 5 the volume for each server will be 4TB)
4nics

i need to build one domain controller (windows server 2016) for 40 users whit some programs and printers installed and one shared folder on it,
the customer would like to have the situation that if one of the two machine have an hardware problem the users can cntinue working,
the 2 server (or the vm on the 2 servers )should be syncronized in real time so im thinking to use 3 virtual machine on HYper-V

1) Server1 Windows server 2016 standard license (hp license or normal one?)

on the Server1 i will install the hyper-v role and create a VM "DC01" that will be the frist domain controller

2)Server2 Windows server 2016 standard license (hp license or normal one?)

on the Server2 i will install the hyper-v role and create a VM "DC02" that will be the second domain controller

3)On both the 2 server i will install the failover and clustering funcion/role,

and i will use starwind software free for create the Virtual san (i dont have a phisical SAN)

on the clustered volume i will install a VM "VM1" added as role (on this virtual machine will be installed some softwares , printers and a shared folder) only this VM will be clustered in HA

and i will put all the VM files so if one server go down the VM will be automatically live migrated on the other server,

so in in this scenario whit 2 winodws server 2016 (each server have one cpu 8 core)

whit 3 VM i guess i will be covered just whit the 2 standard license couse every standard license comprend 2 VM license im right?

Any of the 2 server will have 2 potentially VM couse DC01 and DC02 will be not in cluster HA,

And another question, for testing im installing all whit windows server evaluation 180 days,

so now im not sure if buy the HPE branded Windows license or the normal "oem" windows license, what you reccomend ?

il i buy the HPE ROK windows server 2016 i have to reinstall all from zero or could just enter the serial Key?

thank you in advance

1 REPLY 1
Chandra_S
HPE Pro

Re: Hp Proliant Dl360 gen10 Hyper-V 2 nodes failover cluster and licensing

Hello,

Good day,

Your question is related to Configuration  and Licencing part so please check with HPE local managers for further help.

you might need consultant help here.

Regards

I am an HPE Engineer.

Accept or Kudo