ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1754403 Members
3240 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

HP ProLiant ML110 G5 Server - Software RAID 1 showing error when booting.

happyhacker
Advisor

HP ProLiant ML110 G5 Server - Software RAID 1 showing error when booting.

I noticed when rebooting the RAID controller briefly show one drive in ERROR and the other as DEGRADED. On this server there is no error reporting to the OS or HP software. The Windows SBS Server 2008 still loads OK.

1. Is there some software I can download to help diagnose?

2. Is there some instruction to diagnose this at BIOS level?

3. Any help much appreciated.

I do not have a spare 1TByte drive and wondered if there is some action I can take to resolve without risking the OS on the server.

PS. As far as I know there is/was no Insight Diagnostics pack or other support (e.g. for driver updates etc.) downloads and am running blind here. If someone can point me thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: HP ProLiant DL320 G4 Server - Software RAID 1 showing error when booting.

Hey,

download HP ACU, you can install this without having to install the whole support pack. Unless you want to install the whole pack that is.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3288093&lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=502439&taskId=135

Click 2008 SBS
Click Software - System Management
Download "HP ProLiant Array Configuration Utility for Windows 64-bit".

Windows doesn't see an error on the disk because it's the underlying array that has issues.

Another way to diagnose would be to boot the server on the SmartStart CD (can be found on the link above too) - from that you can start HP ACU and run diagnostics.

If a drive is failed (and a logical drive is in error) - next step will most likely be to have it replaced or run the system degraded.
happyhacker
Advisor

It's kind of you to reply so quick but the server model you have linked me to is not the ML110. This has a longer list than mine. Is it the same? I have some queries with the management s/w available:

1. Note that this server does not have the SmartCD - is there one available?).

2. Also when I go to the download page for the full Insight Manager for the ML110 I just get an html text page not the download page? I would like this to manage all the drivers etc.

3. I have dowloaded the "HP ProLiant Array Configuration Utility (CLI) for Windows 64-bit". Can I install this stand alone?

4. Should I have the "** CRITICAL ** HP Version Control Agent for Windows x64" as well? If so what is the extra s/w ( in conjunction with the HP Version Control Repository Manager) this is refering to?

5. What is the "HP System Management Home page" Utility and do I need it (if so where is it on the HP site for download?)?

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Uh, I wonder how DL320 G4 made it into the title...

With the ML110 G5 you cannot use HP ACU or many other of HP's tools, unless you have an HP SmartStart controller.

Downloads for the ML110 G5 are here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3577715&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3577708

Which controller do you have in the ML110 G5? The default? There aren't many tools for that. Check out the "HP ProLiant Smart Array SAS/SATA Event Notification Service for Windows Server 2008 x64 Editions and Windows Server 2012 ". Managing the controller would be done by pressing the right button during POST.. Perhaps the user guide or service maintenance guide for the ML110 G5 can sched some light on the details.

See http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=135&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3577708
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP ProLiant ML110 G5 Server - Software RAID 1 showing error when booting.

>I wonder how DL320 G4 made it into the title.

Spell check?  Or happyhacker edited it after your reply?

You can correct your posts by using Post Options > Edit Reply

happyhacker
Advisor

Re: HP ProLiant ML110 G5 Server - Software RAID 1 showing error when booting.

Sorry about the title. I put ..110.. in then noticed after posting that it had changed to ...350... so edited it back. Don't know how that happened!

When I installed the OS I did not use the disc supplied by HP (it said it did not support installation of the SBS 2008 OS), so I did not install anything from the suplied CD. I still have the CD.

I configured the array by using F8 (I think the boot indicates this during restart). Is this a s/w RAID install? This is all I have to manage the array.

During boot now I see (momentarally):

ERROR

DEGRADED

Is there any improved management s/w for the RAID (either one the CD or download - I see the "Array Configuration Utility" in downloads) that I can use now? I am a bit confused as to the options which may be available and looking for the best way round my problem.