New Discussion

HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen9 - Replacing Smart Array P440ar

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bsdonline
Visitor

HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen9 - Replacing Smart Array P440ar

Dear Community,

I´m in trouble with a Smart Array P440AR Controller embedded in a DL380 Gen9 machine due to a reported cache memory failure (Error 1797: Write Back Cache Backup Previously Failed. Caching is permanently disabled. Action: Replace the Cache Module).

At first, I´ve upgraded the firmware to the latest version (V7.00) and renewed the battery. Then tried to recover the cache module via Smart Storage Administrator. The function ends up with "Recover failed due to an unknown error".

The server runs fine so far, but with cache disabled.

Because the cache module seems to be soldered on the controller board, I´ve obtained a new replacement P440AR controller, which has Firmware V4.52 programmed by factory.

Could you please help me and give hints on how to >safely< replace the board:

- Can I connect the Disk-Set without risk for data to new 4.52 controller, altough it has been in access by the old (fw 7.00) controller before?

- Or is the a procedure to upgrade the new controller to fw 7.00 without having the Raid-Set connected (Set is Server´s Boot-Device), and connect the Disks for the first time afterwards? Thought about that it might be possible to use a bootable Windows-on-DVD distribution via S-ATA DVD-drive while the Raid-Set remains disconnected, just to execute the fw upgrade installer package.

Many thanks in advance, any support would be much appreciated,
bsd

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: HP ProLiant DL380 Gen9 - Replacing Smart Array P440ar

To be very safe:

- replace the controller, don't connect cables

- use SPP for offline firmware update

- connect the cables

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bsdonline
Visitor

Thanks Thorsten, I´ll try to update with SPP on coming weekend.

Best Regards,

bsd

Bsdonline
Visitor

Thorsten,

I did the replacement last weekend as suggested, worked well without any issues, machine healthy again.

New controller has an additional plastic-cap to optimize airflow, hope this helps for better lifespan.

Thanks again,

bsd