1757718 Members
2443 Online
108863 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installation of 2nd processor

SC Johnson
Occasional Contributor

Re: Installation of 2nd processor

I'm wondering how you made out over the weekend. The addition of a second CPU (a 5410) is exactly what I want to do but don't the cost premium applied to the "HP branded" part v.s. the OEM part.

M Ahson

Tried over this weekend. Unfortunately, could not make it work because the VRN is missing. Will buy one this week and give it a go again. The second processor does work when we put it in the first slot but the making the two processor work together is still a dream.

Also power connector of the fan and heat sink which came with the second processor has 4 pins. Will need to get a five pin fan.

M Ahson

The heat sink and fan which came with the processor had 4 pins as compared to HP 5 pin connection. When I tried to get HP part numbers for Fan and Heat sink and VRN, so I oould purchase them I got no answers.

I have ended purchasing the HP part at double the cost of Intel XEON processor. I didn't know a thing about servers and have ended spending lots of money with no real benefit.

If you are like me then I suggest you purchase HP parts.
SC Johnson
Occasional Contributor

From my vantage point you have made the right call. Your time is worth money and you've probably passed the break-even point.

From a customer satisfaction perspective I wish HP would provide some reasoning behind the price premium- this is especially appropriate for entry-level servers that are so price sensitive. It _feels_ like the "left-handed screwdriver" fee applied to government funded programs.

Sigh...