ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1758074 Members
2539 Online
108867 Solutions
New Discussion

Is there an issue with the HP Smart Array 5i array controller firmware v2.62 rev B

Anusuya
Occasional Contributor

Is there an issue with the HP Smart Array 5i array controller firmware v2.62 rev B

Is there an issue with the HP Smart Array 5i array controller firmware v2.62 rev B (found in our DL580 G2 server) which would lead to us experience the issue of not being able to boot the server from a disk which was previously marked as failed. If so, is the issue fixed in a later release of the array controller firmware ?

I experienced issues with the one of the DL 580 G2 SERVERS .I expect to be able to shut a server down, pull one of the mirrored system disks then boot the server using the remaining disk to carry out the change. Should we need to roll back the change we should be able to pull the modified disk out of the server and boot it from the original unmodified disk. This did not work on the one of the DL 580 G2 server as the box refused to attempt to boot from a disk once it had been marked as failed during boot (we press F2 to acknowledge the disk as failed as the server initializes the array at start-up). I’ve tested this scenario using an HP DL380 running the same model of array controller as the Costain server and a later firmware version and the server responded as I expected it to,

All the servers are running HP’s Smart 5i Array Controllers. These had outdated array controller firmware, running v2.62 rev B. I’ve since upgraded the firmware to the latest version available (v2.66) but have not tried to recreate the issue for obvious reasons !

What I’d like to know , whether the version of firmware we were running on the array controller has a known issue with being able to start a server with a disk which has been previously marked as failed, and if this was fixed in a subsequent release ?

regards

Palani