ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1755622 Members
3311 Online
108836 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Manually configuring RAID drive on ML330 G3

Charles Zalinski

Manually configuring RAID drive on ML330 G3

I have an ML330 G3 that I configured previously, successfully, with a SmartStart 6.40 CD. Unfortunately, my CD seems to be damaged and I cannot use it to deploy Server 2003. When I try to boot and install from the Server 2003 disks the installer cannot see my RAID drive and thinks there are no HD to install to.

I have tried to find a SmartStart 6.40 ISO with no success. I have tried to deploy using a SmartStart 8.2 disk, but checking the "Continue" button for deployment just leaves the computer apparently doing nothing for days (literally, I have waited days hoping it may just be taking a long time to rebuild the array).

I have seen experts saying that SmartStart is really just a nice user interface over steps that can also be done manually. Maybe somebody can tell me what the manual steps are that I am missing. Here is what I currently do:

1) Hit F8 on boot to configure the RAID drive. I configure 2 drives as a RAID 1 array, Initialize the array, and Build the secondary drive which basically mirrors the primary drive ont the backup drive.

2) Hit F9 on boot to set the boot disk. I change the boot order to Floppy, CD, HD, NIC. I then configure the HD for RAID controller, PCI IDE, Onboard IDE. (Yes, I have an additional PCI IDE card installed but I am only using it for USB capabilities. Maybe I should try removing it?).

I would assume that this is good enough, but the Server 2003 disk does not see the RAID array. Is there some third step I am missing to make the RAID array show up?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

Charles Zalinski

Tried the 8.0 SmartStart to no avail.
I also found this http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=130&prodSeriesId=254889&prodTypeId=15351&objectID=c01236897

That tells me that SmartStart 7.91 is the last release with the RAID driver I need. So, either I find a SmartStart ISO from 6.40 to 7.91, or I find a floppy so the 2003 install can see my RAID controller, or I have a brick and need to find a new server.
Charles Zalinski

Solved it. My 6.40 CD wasn't completely dead and I found the IDE driver on it. Copying all the driver files to a floppy I was able to get the 2003 install to load it (F6 on installation to specify loading a 3rd Party driver). Search you old CD for lsicsb6 and you will see a directory with the driver. Copy all contents to a floppy and insert when prompted by the 2003 install process. Currently formatting my drive now so yay!