New Discussion юеВ

Re: maximum Drives per Array ???

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert Marhofer
Occasional Contributor

maximum Drives per Array ???

Hi Guys,

I have the following question - with the Smart Array P800 it┬┤s possible to connect 8 Disk-Enclosures - every with 12 disks and with the 8 drives from the internal backplane, I will get the maximum auf 104 drives - so I wanted to know, if there is a limitation of the drives count, when I create an array ? - or is it unlimited so that I can create an array with 96 or 104 drives ???? I know, HP recommended a maximum of 14 disks per Array, when you use Raid5.

Thanks in advance four your help!

2 REPLIES 2
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor
Solution

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12616_div/12616_div.html

Capacity

Given the increasing need for high performance and rapid capacity expansion, the SA-P800 offers:

• Up to 12TB of external storage per PCI slot with 4 HP 50 Modular Smart Array enclosures and 40 x 300GB SFF SAS hard drives.
  • Up to 57.6 TB of external storage per PCI slot with 8 HP 60 Modular Smart Array enclosures and 96 x 600GB 3.5" SAS hard drives
  • Up to 96 TB of external storage per PCI slot with 8 HP 60 Modular Smart Array enclosures and 96 x 1TB 3.5" SATA MDL hard drives
  • Up to 30 TB of external storage per PCI slot with 4 HP 70 Modular Smart Array enclosures and 100 x 300GB SFF SAS hard drives
  • Up to 25 TB of external storage per PCI slot with 4 HP 70 Modular Smart Array enclosures and 100 x 250GB SFF SATA ETY hard drives

NOTE: Support for greater than 2TB in a single logical drive.

Maximum Capacity 108TB (108 x 1TB SATA 3.5" MDL HDD)

Logical Drives SupportedUp to 32 logical drives

I cannot think of a time when I have passed 24 drives.  (too cautious about multi drive failure in a large array vs. the time to rebuild a drive)

When I look at the tech whitepaper, HP says no more than 56 drives in RAID 6:

RAID 6
RAID 6 protects against failure of any two drives. It requires a minimum of four drives, but only two are available for data. RAID 6 can tolerate multiple simultaneous drive failures without downtime or data loss. It is ideal for applications requiring large logical volumes, because it can safely protect a single volume of up to 56 disk drives. RAID 6 also offers lower implementation costs and greater usable capacity per U than RAID 1.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00687518/c00687518.pdf

Thinking of the potential for multi drive fails once this system goes into production, all the drives MTBF will generally begin to come due all around the same time...

Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Robert Marhofer
Occasional Contributor

....many thanks for your quick reply, !!!!