ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1755909 Members
3471 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML 150 G3 RAID 1 problem

Steve Yardumian

ML 150 G3 RAID 1 problem

I have a ML 150 G3 server setup right now that is a 160GB for C:-Windows, D:- Data, and a 500GB split into an E: and F:. These are SATA Drives. We just bought two 750GB SATA's to RAID 1 for additional storage space. However, when I turn the Embedded SATA RAID Controller on in the BIOS Windows will not boot. The Server 2003 screen appears for a split second, it blue screens, and reboots.

I can't get a long enough read at the blue screen to know what's going on. When I turned the Embedded SATA RAID Controller back off in the BIOS, it boots up fine.

I've tried to install the Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver in Win Server 2003, but the install says the hardware cannot be found (my guess is because it is off in the BIOS).

Not sure where to go from here. Is there a way to keep Windows and set up this RAID?
5 REPLIES 5
YAQUB_1
Respected Contributor
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: ML 150 G3 RAID 1 problem

hi

follow this procedure since you already install you OS it can help you out

HP ProLiant Servers - How to Install OS on Embedded Sata Raid Controller with Out Floppy Drive or Slipstreaming OS CD
ISSUE:

Most of the 100 series and 300 series servers does not go with the floppy drives and customer not able to install OS as he is not able to inject/supply Raid controller Driver. Customer has to use a Floppy Drive or a Slipstreaming OS CD.
SOLUTION:

Follow the steps below and there is no need to use Floppy Drive or a Slipstreaming OS CD:

Install the OS with Embedded SATA RAID Disabled (No Drivers or F6 required) on one Harddrive.

Once OS is installed, Extract the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers to a folder. HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003:

Click here to go to HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003 .

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1163831&prodNameId=3279687&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-9553913a25fe499aa09e22cfe2

Go to Control Panel-> Add New Hardware->Device is connected->New Hardware->Raid Controller->Have Disk->Browse to the folder where the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers were extracted. Select the .inf file->Install Adaptec Raid Driver.
Restart the Server go to BIOS enable the Embedded SATA RAID.

Press F8 and go to Sata Raid BIOS->Configure the Drives->Create Array->Raid 0/1 A warning message will appear "Warning: Configuring the drives will erase all Array information from the selected drives, if that drive is part of an array. Arrays using any of these drives as members will be affected! Do you want to continue?(Yes/No):". Press "Y" to continue.

If Raid 1 is selected it will ask you what is the Source Disk, select the Right Disk in which OS was installed previously. Warning message might appear again. Select "Y".

Rebuild will take sometime, once rebuild is complete restart the server.

Once rebooted Raid would be detected and windows would boot up, in windows it would detect new hardware and Adaptec Raid drivers will be installed. Now Server is built migrated to Raid Successfully.

Servers Supported: Servers with Embedded SATA RAID Controller:

HP ProLiant DL320 G5 Server
HP ProLiant DL320 G4 Server
HP ProLiant DL320 G3 Server
HP ProLiant DL140 G3 Server
HP ProLiant ML310 G4 Server
HP ProLiant ML310 G3 Server
HP ProLiant ML150 G3 Server
HP ProLiant ML110 G4 Server
HP ProLiant ML110 G3 Server

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Steve Yardumian

I tried the above instructions and it didn't help. Windows still crashes a split second into the loading boot screen.
Steve Yardumian

An important note here that the first reply didn't obviously catch. This is POST-Windows-installation.
cscherb
Advisor

Hi Steve,

have you ben able to fix the situation - I'm facing a similar situation like you (blue screen a few seconds after windows logo is showing during boot after upgrading device driver and switching to raid-1).

Best Regards
Carsten