1967 Online
108863 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML 370 G4 external SCSI port

Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

ML 370 G4 external SCSI port

Hi,
Today we received ML370 G4 server with Smart Array 6402 controller.
In our "old" ML370 G3 servers there are 3 external SCSI ports(with VHDCI connector): 2 on Smart Array controller and additional external SCSI port on the motheboard, near network card.
In ML370 G4 we don't find SCSI port on the motherboard, only 2 SCSI ports on Smart Array controller.
We want to connect external Ultrium LTO2 tape to ML370 G4.
In ML370 G3 we connect this tape to SCSI port on the motherboard. Now, if we will connect this tape to SCSI port on Smart Array 6402 controller I think it will reduce disks/tape perfomance.
So that options we have?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Scott F. Gunelius
Occasional Advisor

Re: ML 370 G4 external SCSI port

Igor,

You could acquire a separate 64-Bit/133Mhz Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI Adapter or 64-Bit/66-MHz Dual Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter provided you have available PCI slots in the server.

A more economical approach would be to acquire the option kit to convert one of the internal SCSI connectors embedded on the motherboard as an external connection. Lookup information on the HP VHDCI SCSI internal to external cable option kit (P/N 333370-B21).

The link describes storage options for this class of server: http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/compatibility/tapebackup/ISS/index.html. I've also attached the ML370 G4 cabling matrix document.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Scott, KOV, Thanks for your reply.

Have some questions:
1)Do I need to buy dual channel ultra320 SCSI HBA or we can buy single channel ultra320 SCSI HBA? Only one LTO2 tape will be connected to each server.

2)What is approximate cost for HP VHDCI SCSI internal to external cable option kit (P/N 333370-B21)? Is this option kit include only cable or it's include more?

3) Which option (separate ultra320 SCSI HBA or cable option kit) is preferred?

Thanks.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Privet Igor - you can use 159547-B22 or 333370-B21 SCSI Cable Internal to External, you do have U320 SCSI controller on board, use I-to-E cable, select tape device that more appropriate for your environment and you need cable from VHDCI to connector on the tape. Some Tapes comes as Optional Kit with additional Components and Cable might be Included.