1754377 Members
3308 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML110 G5 System Fan LOUD

andrea dal zovo
Advisor

Re: ML110 G5 System Fan LOUD

If the sensor is inside the CPU, maybe there is a problem on this series of Xeon processor.
As I can see, my system is reporting 46C even if the system was started 1 minute before: that's pretty impossible, isn't it?
You can agree: if I should write a Bios feauture that control the fan speed based on the CPU temperature, if there is an error reading that value the best way to keep the system running is to take the fan at the maximum speed.
I really don't know if the price is linked to the problem, or HP is simply giving us a christmas present =) but you should agree that this is a strange problem on a strange offer...
I will post the result with HP support , and if they will find a solution (as you can see in this thread someone has already changed some hardware but the problem is still there....)
andrea dal zovo
Advisor

I've see on HP biz support that someone is suggesting to clear the CMOS as describe on "HP Proliant ML110 Generation 5 Server Maintenance and Service Guide", on page 71.
Monday I will try this "magic" jumper!
Can the solution be so simple?

Hi all,

I have exactly the same problems. FAN's run at full RPM. HP changed my system board, then it was ok. After changing something in the bios, it started again running at full speed.
There is also another bios bug. Try to disable the nx bite. You will see that the server will not boot at all. You will have to remove the bios battery to reset. Be carefull, that was the reason that my new board started to go full power again. I have a case open by hp and hope to have more info next week.

PS: i'm also from Switzerland...
Ossian Birch
Advisor

HP sent a new CPU heatsink/fan assembly and a system fan - despite my requesting that this case be escalated for BIOS programming - aparantly they need logs..? what a waste of time sending these fans as the fans are controlled by BIOS. But I played along and NO change. Tried the above suggestion of resetting BIOS and CMOS to defaults NO change. Its amazing how HP can release such a bad batch - don't they ever switch a machine on after assembly... This is really bad. I have worked with Compaq/HP servers for 13 years, seems they are going the way of a lot of companies - bad service/faulty goods/no quality control.
Ossian Birch
Advisor

Another couple of points - the CPU diode readout in the BIOS - realtime sensor data
CPU0 Diode reads N/A
CPU Dmn 0 Temp reads 43.00 deg C
CPU Dmn 1 Temp reads N/A
and I dont see any fan data whatsoever - where are other people seeing fan RPM info?
yeah - quad core CPU would Be OK with me too. Compensate for loosing 2 weeks dev time on this box.
Ossian Birch
Advisor

Duh - I see fan speeds now (using +/- keys not page down or arrows) CPU fan at 3663 RPM and system fan at 4251 RPM
Urs Koehler

My first ordered ML110 G5 with 3GHZ Core Duo XEON five days ago had so many problems (CPU and System FAN RPM to high, CPU temperature 40 degrees when cold out of the box, and Smart array Controller E200 did not load battery even not after 48 hours) HP did approve to return it (logically and expected by me!).

The replacement, a new ML110 G5 delivered from stock (ARP Datacon - HP distributor Switzerland) was received by me at home yesterday. I powered it up - AND - wauhhh, I got another "lemon"!!! CPU and System Fan are both on max RPM (CPU 3800 RPM and System Fan 4530 RPM) and did not regulate to normal approx 1000 - 1200 RPM even after 2 hours of running. CPU Temparature sensor reports 49 degrees (unchanging) even one minute after having it turned on --> out of the box and COLD.

It seems to become a pain in the bud to me, since I have paid for an equipment which I cannot use it.

I still stick to HP for the moment. Bt they should either fix it a home or replace my faulty device with another, but previously tested equipment!!

I strongly believe, HP has a ML110 G5 series problem. HP said they have not had any indications of technical problems with ML110 G5 so far ?!?!? --> Hard to believe though....after all these Support Forum entires and - for sure dozens of returend ML110 G5's
andrea dal zovo
Advisor

Yesterday i've called HP support line.
They say that 46C for CPU temp is "acceptable".
After a short discussion about this value, they agree to send me a new CPU and FAN (I'm waiting this parts today), but they don't want to downgrade the CPU cause changing FAN and CPU always fixed the problem (by their records...)
I'm convinced that the special price was linked to this problem: if you look to the offer, 3GHz/E200/2HD/1GBRAM is cheaper that the 1.8GHz/NORAID/1HD/0.5GBRAM...
The card E200, buyed separatly, has the same price as the entire offer....
I will post updates as soon as possible.
Ossian Birch
Advisor

I am waiting for a new processor.
I dont believe any company would create increased support costs and damage their reputation by deliberately selling faulty goods cheaply. They have nothing to gain! - The complete lack of Quality Assurance is alarming. I have always defended/recommended HP (well until recently anyway) and avoided Dell like the plague (the old Dell desktop machines were fantastic - last 5 years decline in quality alarming and very high rate of failures -- we get Dell offers for servers almost daily as we use Dell workstations - it doesnt take much to tip the balance and the line of HP servers that end up in senior systems engineers houses with budget control..... Come on HP - sort this out!
imehl
Occasional Advisor

I've changed the CPU from E2160 to E8400.
E2160: fans working fine, temp +-20 deg. (cels.)
E8400 (=Xeon E3110): fans working at their maximum, temp +-47 deg.
I think the problem are not the fans, not the motherboard:
bios update is urgently needed for 45nm CPUs.

so: HP come on, get it work and INVENT!!!