Re: ML110 Gen11 - Fan noise

RobertoFC
Occasional Advisor

Hello, this was one of HPE's solutions. Other solutions were to
update/downgrade different drivers and go back to previous versions of
the BIOS. They are all done.
The problem is that the fans make less noise (more than a Gen10) but
they do not ventilate the processor enough.
They frequently accelerate for a few seconds with a consequent increase
in noise.
The processor easily exceeds 70ºC without workload.
With workload it has reached 91ºC.
Thanks.

Roberto Fidalgo Calvo

Servicio Técnico

Cl. Travesía Ana Mogas 4,
24009 - León

**personal info erased**

www.infortelsl.es <>

Aviso Legal

Le informamos, como destinatario de este mensaje, que el correo
electrónico y las comunicaciones por medio de Internet no permiten
asegurar ni garantizar la confidencialidad de los mensajes transmitidos,
así como tampoco su integridad o su correcta recepción, por lo que
Infortel Informática y Telefonía S.L. no asume responsabilidad alguna
por tales circunstancias.

Este mensaje va dirigido, de manera exclusiva, a su destinatario y
contiene información confidencial y sujeta al secreto profesional, cuya
divulgación no está permitida por el Reglamento (UE) 2016/679 del
Parlamento Europeo y el Consejo de 27 de abril de 2016 relativo a la
protección de las personas físicas en lo que respecta al tratamiento de
datos personales y a la libre circulación de estos datos.

En caso de haber recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que, de
forma inmediata, nos lo comunique mediante correo electrónico remitido a
nuestra atención y proceda a su eliminación, así como a la de cualquier
documento adjunto al mismo. Asimismo, le comunicamos que la
distribución, copia o utilización de este mensaje, o de cualquier
documento adjunto al mismo, cualquiera que fuera su finalidad, están
prohibidas por la ley.

Por último, le recordamos que puede ejercer los derechos de acceso,
rectificación, supresión, limitación al tratamiento y oposición
reconocidos por el RGPD mediante comunicación escrita a la siguiente
dirección postal: Travesía Ana Mogas nº 4. 24009 León.

Richard Brindle
Occasional Advisor

Yes,  i can confirm,  i have taken the bios back to 1.46 and the fans work fine and are not excessively Loud,  however the CPU without any load runs between 55 and 71 at the moment,.

Rihan
Occasional Advisor

I think everyone needs to Raise a Support Ticket to HPE. I have applied AMS Update (https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=en_US&collectionId=MTX-ada99fb833d94a8b )to a few of the servers and they seem to be okay for now.  Also i belive setting up the Servers using Inteligent Provisioning also helps. 

jrguzman23
Occasional Visitor

Confirmada la solucion con la version de la Bios 1.46

Google Translated

Solution confirmed with Bios version 1.46

Richard Brindle
Occasional Advisor

Yes,  i can confirm,  i have taken the bios back to 1.46 and the fans work fine and are not excessively Loud,  however the CPU without any load runs between 55 and 71 at the moment,.  I have installed all the software and drivers that everyone on the forum suggested,  basically 2 options

bios 2.12 and bios 2.16 server sounds like a jet engine even when server has booted up and it quietens down after 4-5 minutes occasionally this has not happened and had to reboot a second time.

bios 1.46 fans runs normally but CPU temp is out of control when there is a load on it,    just need a happy medium

Rihan
Occasional Advisor

@Richard Brindle Have you tried running the LAtest version of AMS?

I have put the servers on 2.16 and ran the latest Version of AMS and it has helped. 
https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=en_US&collectionId=MTX-ada99fb833d94a8b

Let me know if that helps . 

RobertoFC
Occasional Advisor

He aplicado TODAS las soluciones del foro, que son las mismas que me han dado los tÉcnicos de HPE. Tengo el caso abierto desde hace un mes.
La solución es dejar los ventiladores con bajo nivel de ruido y añadir un ventilador de 7 cm (para poder poner los conductos de ventilación) detrás del disipador del procesador. De ésta forma la temperatura se mantiene 20ºC por debajo de la que tiene normalmente. El problema es que no hay dÓnde fijarlo ni de dónde obtener la corriente (tengo el ordenador tumbado con el ventilador posado en la parte trasera del disipador y la corriente de una fuente externa).

I have applied ALL the solutions on the forum, which are the same ones that the HPE technicians have given me. I have had the case open for a month. The solution is to leave the fans at a low noise level and add a 7 cm fan (to be able to put the ventilation ducts) behind the processor heatsink. In this way the temperature is maintained 20ºC below its normal level. The problem is that there is nowhere to fix it or where to get the power from (I have the computer lying down with the fan placed on the back of the heatsink and the power from an external source).

ISL1

So I've been working with HPE Support and they have replied with.....

"I have worked with our ERT team, and they have suggested is it not advised to run the server without the air baffle. Also Our ERT team is already aware of the issue and currently working on a solution for the same.  So we will continue working with our ERT for a solution on the same, and share updates on the progress. "

So they know there is an issue with the air baffle design and none of the solutions given work at all.

The whole issue is down to a design flaw with the air baffle which I raised with them when opening the call.

No fix in the pipeline, 

pmrgoncalves
Frequent Visitor

This is completely ridiculous...

Setting up a new HP110Gen11, it comes from factory with bios v2.12, boot it up and the noise is horrible.

Did a upgrade to v2.16, still the same issue...

Sold one a few months ago and had the same issue, at that time I had to downgrade bios, as told here, to version 1.4x.

So after this time HP still have not solved this issue, that is really competent from HP...

As for the current one, just downgraded it to 1.46 and it is running normally, as it should.

I think HP should test these updates before sending hardware to customers.