3084 Online
108906 Solutions
New Discussion

ML310 Gen 8 v2- Failed system-rom update

MarkyA
Visitor

ML310 Gen 8 v2- Failed system-rom update

Hi Everyone,

I have an mL310e G8 v2 , which looke like attemtped a system rom update and failed, while unattended....

II now won't boot fully, stops are 20% and screen goes blank.

iLO is unable to report any system rom, so can't swap to the backup

I've cleared the NVRAM by removing the battery, but still no joy.

I downloaded the latest win and linux bios update file and extracted CPQ CPQP7813.684 and uploaded via iLO but it wasn't recognised. Where do I find the .bin file to reflash the system ROM, even an old one would do, just get this server back to life.

With thanks

MarkyA

3 REPLIES 3
Sebasbin
HPE Pro

Re: ML310 Gen 8 v2- Failed system-rom update

Hi,

I would suggest running the Service Pack for ProLiant offline- Interactive mode 

https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=en_US&softwareId=MTX_ff582daf008c4f529c4d6c28f6

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

kurt784

Hello,

It seems your HPE ProLiant ML310e gen8 v2 server encountered a failed system ROM update, resulting in boot issues and a blank screen. since iLO is unable to report the system ROM, you'll need to manually reflash the ROM to restore functionality. Visit the HPE support website to download the appropriate BIOS .bin file for your server model. You can then use methods like uploading via iLO, using a bootable USB flash drive, or offline ROM flash utility to initiate the BIOS recovery process. Follow HPE's instructions carefully to ensure a successful recovery. If you need further assistance, consider reaching out to HPE technical support for personalized guidance.

MarkyA
Visitor

@Sebasbin @kurt784 Folks, Thank you for the suggestions,

The the server simply will cannot boot anything. it dosen't get that far in POST.

I ran up the Service Pack for ProLiant, remotly, SUM launched, found ILO, but I can't see a way to remotely deploy a replacement bios.
(iLO has advanced license.)

If I could find the correct .bin file, then i'd probably be able to revive the server through iLO
but alas, they have disappared, only 'online' utils are on the HPE site.
The images contained within the online utils, once extracted will not update via iLO. don't know why that is, I presume ilo looks for some other format, or check/crc etc.

I guess what I need is in the ROMPAQ utils and extract that,  but I can't find anywhere, even an old version.

MarkyA