108863 Solutions
New Discussion

ML350 G6 and EFI / GPT

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Re: ML350 G6 and EFI / GPT

I don't think so.

I have been searching the internet.
And have only found UEFI from Dell servers.

And ofcouse EFI on the HP Integrity servers.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Ralph Frampton
Frequent Advisor

Re: ML350 G6 and EFI / GPT

According to my experience in trying to do the same thing with a DL180 G6, HP stated in an Aug 2010 ISS newsletter that they weren't supporting UEFI on servers at this time even though they started adding UEFI support to notebooks in late 2008.

This leaves us with the traditional BIOS setup for a multi terabyte server & forces us to use multiple logical drives. 2 TB is the max you can work with on a MBR partition (eg. is using MS OS media directly instead of Easy Setup Cd) & it precludes you from accessing the remainder of the storage if you created a single large logical drive (eg. 20 TB in my case for the first attempt at installing OS).

From what I've gathered, this means that we have to make a smaller MBR boot compatible partition for the OS & a larger GPT compatible partition for the data storage volume. I have chosen 256 GB (OS) and a 20 TB - 256 GB (Data) for this particular server.

After you get the OS installed into the smaller MBR partition, you can use the Disk mgmt tools to then create the larger GPT partition. This second partition allows me to access/manage the remaining 20236.71 GB available in this system.

You may of course want to structure your logical drives / partitions differently depending on what other applications are intended for the server (ie. ours is to be a large file server).