1754304 Members
3022 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML530 randomly reboots

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

ML530 randomly reboots

On a very sparadic basis, my ML530 bugchecks and reboots at very random times. I have run complete Compaq diagnostics with no errors. Compaq tech support keeps telling to me to remove the Veritas Backup Exec Remote Backup Agent. I have read the Veritas Technote ID 200120 that they are referring to and it is not related to my problem. However, I gave in and have disabled the agent. This ML530 has Smart 4200 Array controller with a dual SCSI drive cage with mirrored system drive and a 135 GB data drive running RAID 5. This is only a simple W2K Server with SP1; it does not run any other software. Everytime it fails, I call Compaq tech support and they keep telling me the same thing: update to the lastest Compaq Support Pack. How many times do I have to update until they get it fixed?!

Anyone else having the same problems?

System Log:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: cpqasm
Event ID: 4188
Event Category: None
Description:
The Compaq System Management Driver has detected that the system encountered an NT bugcheck prior to this boot. The bugcheck data was: STOP: 0x00000077 (0xC0000185, 0xC0000185, 0x00000000, 0x001D6000).
9 REPLIES 9
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: ML530 randomly reboots

Yes, I have the same Problem. My ML530 runs with CO Unixware 7 and rebuts at very random times. I have called to Compaq and I have updated all related Support-Packs and Drivers.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Yes, i have the same problem. I have a service running that i know wont work so every few days when i come to work i see the pop-up saying that a service could not start. This tells me that the server was down. There is no trace as to why in the event viewer, it has to be a hardware issue!!! I have no idea. I'm glad there are more of you out there so i know i am not crazy!!!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Yes, I have the same Problem. and we are in acritical case as it is our SAP Server. My ML530 runs Windows NT 4 and reboots abruptly randomly leaving an event messgae that Compaq Recovery System Shuts down thye server and reboots at very random times. I have called to Compaq and I have updated all related Support-Packs and Drivers. There is no trace in the event viewer, it has to be a hardware issue and that's of damn sure! I have run complete Compaq diagnostics with no errors and the problem remains unsolved. I strongly suspect three areas the XXEON Processor/RAM/Motherboard. Lets wait till COMPAQ comes out with a solution for this Mysterious Problem..
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Remove ALL compaq management agents, I can't help much on the NT but on
UW7 run rtpm to check the amount of free memory. I think there may be a slow
leak in the network agents, which cascades into a response problem, and then
an ASR. With CMA 4.90 or 5.00 and sustained 100% load I have noticed a
repeatable pattern that results in an ASR after 3-5 days.

Please post back.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The problem is the motherboard, we had some other problems and compaq tried to fix them by switching the motherboard, all of the sudden we started having this very same problem. I suspect that it is the fairly new motherboards, because the one they put in had a bios date of 4/10/00. I had compaq come back out and put in another motherboard, the bios on this one was 12/12/99 and now everything works fine. The support packs aren't going to do anything. I suggest you check the date of the bios next time your machine boots up to see how new your motherboard is.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Yes I have the same problem with my SAP server recently supplied...

The Compaq System Management Driver has detected that the system encountered an NT bugcheck prior to this boot. The bugcheck data was: STOP: 0x00000077 (0xC0000185, 0xC0000185, 0x00000000, 0x001D6000).

Till last four days COmpaq has not given any solution now they guess NT problem, but on same config and s/w other 2 ML 530 Servers are working.
these are 2GB RAM, Dual CPU Servers only diff. between 2 working (earlier) and 1 non-working recent server is the CPU which is 933 MHZ instead of earlier 866 MHZ
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Confirmed solution to my problem was motherboard replacement......

Only change of motherboard solved the problem, as against COMPAQ India supports prediction and doubt on NT OS configuration........

Surprisingly after check & tries and finnally replacing of motherboard could not convince to COMPAQ India Support that it was motherboard........
COMAPQ still insists it was OS, motherboard was replaced just as precutionary step !!

Any comments !!!

Thanks to Compaq support forum !! Thanks COMPAQ for such a forum & solution....

COMPAQ support people also should use it.......
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I've been getting the same messages but what brought it to my attention was that users kept getting access denied messages on files they just created and saved to the server. No one else was accessing the files. I also found that the Network card was dropping connection at random intervals as well. When I called Compaq support they ended up sending me a new Feature Board (Video,NIC, SCSI combo board) but it would not search the SCSI bus for drives. I ended up sending the board back and getting a second Feature Board that has so far had the same results.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I had same same problem 2 days back. I run diagnostics and check there is no errors. ML530 server is installed with 1GB Memory( 1*512MB+1*256MB+2*128MB)
I plug the memories none by one and run the diagnostics no errors giving on the diagnostics. At last I plug the only the 512MB memory and tested it is currently working without rebooting for 48 hours. Earlier It was rebooting every 2 hours.