ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1767465 Members
4428 Online
108962 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NVMe firmware updates failing with latest SPP (S2D)

aireynol
Valued Contributor

NVMe firmware updates failing with latest SPP (S2D)

I have a number of Gen10 and Gen11 servers running Server 2022 with S2D configured for HCI. These are Azure Stack Validated nodes. After applying SPP 2024.04.00.00, the SUM report shows the firmware package installed sucessfully, but the S2D drives firmware does not get updated. On a node with the same configuration but not in a HCI cluster, the firmware applies sucessfully.

I am assuming this is because S2D is reserving those drives as they are not viewable under disk management but are viewable in failover clustering. Microsoft does have instruction for updating S2D drive firmware here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/update-firmware but this requires a firmware image file from the OEM. The cpq package, for example cp059791.exe does have a MPK7725Q.rel file in it that looks like maybe it could be the binary file but it is not working with Microsoft instructions giving back the error:

"Update-StorageFirmware : Failed

Extended information:
A warning or error has been encountered during storage firmware update.
The system cannot find the file specified."

Anyone know how to get these drives updated?

5 REPLIES 5
aireynol
Valued Contributor

Re: NVMe firmware updates failing with latest SPP (S2D)

Seems a workaround to this issue and another that I had with 2024.04.00.00 (https://community.hpe.com/t5/proliant-servers-ml-dl-sl/gen11-mr416i-p-firmware-update-failing-with-latest-spp/td-p/7212741) is to do an offline firmware update with the iso mounted via the ilo console. Not an ideal resolution as now I will need to do an offline update for the firmware and an online update for the drivers and management tooling. Not the most scalable process.

support_s
System Recommended

Query: NVMe firmware updates failing with latest SPP (S2D)

System recommended content:

1. Gen10/Gen10 Plus SPP 2024.04.00.00 Component Release Notes

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

If you have the flexibility to get downtime, you can initiate booting from the SPP ISO in interactive mode to proceed with updating the drive firmware.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
aireynol
Valued Contributor

@BPSingh Offline run of the spp does get this installed, but I would prefer to get this installed during an online run or via Microsofts method (which requires us to have the bin file provided by the OEM).

BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

I recommend logging a support ticket to have the hardware logs and SUM logs analyzed. This will help identify the cause of the firmware revision to apply on the drives.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo