1754368 Members
4626 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Only one processor recognised

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Only one processor recognised

Does the Compaq Proliant 3000 with Windows 2000 Server address ACPI? Should I be using;

Possible values for the HAL under Compaq include: Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible or MPS Multiprocessor PC which is what currently shows up but only for one processor or is this correct and "Task Manager " is wrong in displaying only one processor?

MIne currently shows in device manager MPS Multiprocessor, but I can only look at one in task manager.

I am only able to get one processor recognized and I would appreciate any help someone may have. I am hoping I do not have to reinstall Server 2000 to get this problem corrected. If I do have to is there a way to save all of my current DNS, and other Active directory settings and restore them after I re-install server 2000.

Proliant 3000 Serial number R041DDL 10000

The information below is from the system summary when the system is up and I am looking at the settings under "Manage" computer

Processor x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3~500mhz
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3~500mhz

When I go into "Device Manager" under "Processors," which is under "Computer" it show only one processor "MPC" I run the driver update and the rest of the procedure selecting "MPC" and reboot the system, again all of the information is the same and it shows only one processor.

This is from when the system first is booting up

Processor 1 Initialized 500 MHZ with 512 kb cache

I have gone into the System config and it has the option's of Full table, Full table mapped and one other option I believe it is disabled. Mine is set for "Full Table"

I cannot get it to recognise the other processor. I have read in the forum about installing a multiprocessor HAL, I can only assume it must already be installed, if not what do I have to do to get the other processor installed.

I have installed the latest Rompaq and the Compaq support pack as listed below. I have also installed Service pack 1 for Windows.

1. Compaq Support Paq for Microsoft Windows 2000, Version 5.10B 27 Jun 2001

2. Systems ROMPaq Firmware Upgrade Diskette for the Compaq ProLiant 1850R (P07), 800 (P14), 3000 (P09), and 5500 (P12) Servers
4.13 A
8 Dec 2000

I installed the Rompaq first before the support pack

Here is some additional information I have located in reference to this problem from the following article.

Q237556 Troubleshooting Windows 2000 Hardware Abstraction Layer Issues
To determine the computer type you are using:
1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
2. Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager to view what is listed under the Computer branch. The following is the list of supported computer types.

Possible values for the HAL under Standard computers include:
ACPI Multiprocessor PC
ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
MPS Multiprocessor PC
MPS Uniprocessor PC
Standard PC
Possible values for the HAL under Compaq include:
Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible

Thanks.

Pseudominded
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Only one processor recognised

My mistake with formatting,

When the system is booting this is what it reads
Processor 2 Initialized 500 MHZ with 512 kb cache

And the system summary shows.
Processor 1 x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3~500mhz
Processor 2 x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3~500mhz

Only one processor MPC in device manager shown and will not update for second processor using "update drivers"

Pseudominded
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Only one processor recognised

Here is a reply I received from Compaq Support for my Proliant 3000 with dual PIII 500 processors. Mine was originally set as ?Full Table? and not ?Full Table? mapped. I changed it to ?Full Table? mapped an achieved the results at the lower half of this message.

Make sure the APIC mode is Full Table. If you don't know how to check it here's how.
Restart computer
Press F10
Press any key
Then you get (system configuration)
Press Ctrl+A (For advanced mode) OK
Choose system configuration
Choose configure hardware (Loading configuration files)
Choose Review or modify hardware settings
Choose step 3 View or edit details
Goto advanced features -
Pick APIC Mode - Press enter
Choose Full Table - Mapped
Save configuration and restart.

In the device manager at the computer branch whatever it states you use. Yours should have read MPS Uniprocessor PC. After a upgrade it will change to MPS Multiprocessor PC.

Next go into ?Task Manager? and look at the ?Performance? tab, the CPU usage screen should now be divided with a gray bar running down the middle for CPU?s 1 and 2. Unfortunately it does not display something like CPU 1, CPU 2.

You can also check by going to the ?Processes screen? in Task manager and right clicking on one of the processes. This should give you the option to set ?Affinity? (assigning that process to which processor you want performing that specific task), but before I would attempt to do this, ?assigning processor affinity,? I would do some research on using this as you can degrade you PC performance. This is not something to just experiment with unless you have an idea of what you are doing.

Pseudominded