1757718 Members
2206 Online
108863 Solutions
New Discussion

optional dirve cage/missing cable/ hdd lights constantly on

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

optional dirve cage/missing cable/ hdd lights constantly on

I have fitted an optional drive cage but unfortunately the control signal cable which should have been shipped with it was not. I have spoken with the supplier who then sent via Compaq the disc cable kit for the DL380(an 159129-001) . The cable that I require is not part of this kit I have tried everything to find a part no. for the cable with no joy. Please can someone supply me with the correct part no. for this cable. Although the server is fully operational all 3 drive lights on the drives fisted into the optional dive cage are constantly on. I hope this is the solution
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: optional dirve cage/missing cable/ hdd lights constantly on

There are two cables required to complete the configuration of these drive cages. A short SCSI cable and a Communications cable are desribed in the installation card accompanying the optional drive cage. If the communications cable is not installed, the drives' LEDs will not be functional.

Improper installation.
There are two cables required to complete the installation of option drive cages in DL380. A short SCSI cable and a Communications cable (Assembly Number 402615-001, 12 pin, Point to Point Cable). If not cabled properly, drives may work, but the drives' LEDs will not be functional, or red led.

Steps to install 2X1 drive cage.
1. Remove the SCSI cable (connecting to the controller) from the back of the 4x1 cage and connect it to the bottom of the optional 2x1 drive cage. In other words, the 2x1 should be connected to the array controller (port 2 of the roc).

2. Then connect the short SCSI cable from the top of the 2x1 optional cage to the connector on the back of the original 4x1 drive cage. (NOTE: do not connect the 4X1 to the other port of the controller. This is a common problem.)

3. Plug the communications cable into the small connector next to SCSI connector on the back of each cage (The instruction to hook up the communications cable may be missing from the kit).

Drive Cage Option Kit, Part Number is 157007-B21 for 2 x 1" Wide Ultra2/Ultra3 SCSI comes with communications cable. If communication cable is missing from the box. Order Spare Part Number 327920-001 which contain that cable Assembly number 402615-001