2631 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PCI-X slots in DL380 Generation 4 server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard Mickle

PCI-X slots in DL380 Generation 4 server

The PCI-X slots in the server are rated at 100 and 133 Mhz. Can a Fiber Channel card rated at 66 Mhz. be put into these slots?
9 REPLIES 9
raadek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: PCI-X slots in DL380 Generation 4 server

Are you talking about the FCA 2101 by any chance? If that's the case, or it is another 3.3 Volt card, then - in theory - yes.

Howver there is no such cards on the supported option list: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/san/HBA-ProliantCompatiblity.pdf

Hence, it might be working, but in a case of any trouble you won't get any help from HP.

Rgds.

Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Richard Mickle

We are actually looking at QLogic's adapter QLA2310F, because it is approved for using to attach to the IBM ESS-F20 we have, and to the HDS AMS1000 we are getting. For ease of migration, we want a card compatable with both.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

you can try, but you might get Unsupported Card Message on the POST, FC card is HP or Third Party ? g4 requires 133 or 100
raadek
Honored Contributor

You probably won't be able to meet all compatibility requirements from all three vendors with just one card.

In my opinion it is very likely that the card will work fine in a server, so stick to your plan (as long none of the HBAs officially supported in the DL380 G4 is compatible with your both storage boxes)
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Richard Mickle

The IBM and Hatachi lists only have QLogic and Emulux adapters listed. It looks like the HP/Compaq list only has HP cards. That makes it a crap shoot on getting full support from any one of the vendors. What fun.
raadek
Honored Contributor

Not exactly - HP do not produce HBAs: they rebadge qLogic & Emulex cards. So it's still possible that you can find 100% supported solution.

I don't remember from the top of my head how HP names translate to original vedor ones, but will try to find this.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
raadek
Honored Contributor

Here you go:

A7388A = Emulex LP1050
A7387A = Emulex LP1050DC
AD167A = Emulex LP1150
AD168A = Emulex LP11002
FCA2214 / FCA2214DC = QLogic QLA2340

Rgds.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Richard Mickle

Thanks to all
Richard Mickle

I did finaly get ahold of HP support and they said that the slots are backword compatable. They also indicated that a QLogic card should work without problems in the DL380. The cross refrence above indicates that QLogic cards are used in HP servers. They do not rebrand the card I am looking at.

Again, a big THANK YOU to all.