1757718 Members
2547 Online
108863 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem configuring Array from NT

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Problem configuring Array from NT

I have setup a DL580 with NT4 (SP6A) using the onboard RAID controller for internal disks to support NT.
I have installed a 64bit/66MHz fibre adapter and connected this to a 7 port fibre hub. Attached to the hub are two 4100 RAID arrays. I used the Compaq Array utility in NT to configure the disks in the two 4100's and everything was fine, and NT Disk Administrator formatted the new partitions OK. I then installed more disks in the 4100's but now find that when I run the array program it shows no arrays on either of the 4100's. Meanwhile NT is happy that the partitions do still exist and allows you to use them. Whenever you run the array program it says all drives are unallocated and if you then create arrays and save the changes it immediately defaults back to saying drives are unallocated.
I have installed CP000487 and CP000729 for the array program and fibre card but it still does not work.

HELP - Andy
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Problem configuring Array from NT

Andy - I have been trying to get my 4100 recognized using a 64bit/33Mhz Emulex LP8000 adapter for over a week now! How did you get as far as you did? I manually added the SCSI driver for the Emulex card. The RA4000 array controller finally gets recognized in the SCSI control panel, but not as an RA4000, simply as an Compaq Array Controller, but the Compaq Array Utility does not find the RA4000 at all. There was another post with a reply stating that the Compaq Array Utility does not recognize 3rd pary HBAs...
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I used the Compaq 64bit 66MHz Fibre Host Adapter part no 120186-B21. I connected the card to the 7 port fibre hub, and in turn attached each of the 4100's to the same hub. I built the server using SmartStart V4.9B, during the installation the Array utility ran and the 4100 controllers were shown as part of the available controllers. The fibre controller is the one that you add your own GBIC into rather than it being built into the card. Is this the adapter you are using ?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Andy...thanks for the reply!
First of all...I have SmartStart 4.8. I am trying to get a later version...
I also have the 64bit/33MHz card with the built in GBIC. I am NOT going through the 7 Port Hub - even though I have one, but I'm short a GBIC. Tech support and the doc states I can go directly to the 4100 array from the server so I don't think that's the issue. I am concerned though, because all the documentation clearly states to use the 64/66 card with the StorageWorks 4100. I get the darn 64/33 recognized in the SCSI devices in the control panel, and I even get the ARRAY CONTOLLER recognized on BUS 4 of that SCSI device, I just can't get the Compaq Array Utility to pick it up. I downloaded the newer array utility - still nothing. Upgraded the system BIOS to the latest version dated 4/2/2001 - nothing. I tried to update the ROMPaq, but that's not recognizing I have an RA4x00 controller at all!!!....

Any advice from ANYONE would be greatly appreciated....

I also tried putting the 64