1754839 Members
5481 Online
108825 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 800 boot problem - Compaq logo

srothman
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 800 boot problem - Compaq logo

Hi, I've got a ten year old Proliant 800. When it's turned on, after a minute or so it displays the red Compaq logo. Can't get it to do anything else. I never get any prompt to go into the BIOS.

I've tried reseating the memory and processor, and have removed all cards and drives.

Is there anything else that can be reset?

Is this more likely to be a power supply issue or a motherboard issue? Fans, etc. seem to be getting power.

Thanks for advice. -Steve
3 REPLIES 3
Louis Henninger_1
Regular Advisor

Re: Proliant 800 boot problem - Compaq logo

This might help:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=254919

I don't remember too much about the ProLiant 800's.

You might try to set server back to factory defaults, but be sure you have SmartStart 5.50 to set up server again.

I seem to remember you could press either F1 (or F10 ?) to bring up setup when you just start displaying the "splash" screen. This might be for the 1600's...I had more of those...

Regards,

Louis
srothman
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the links.

Neither F1 nor F10 is recognized, but I don't think the computer has booted up to the point where it's paying attention to the keyboard

Any other ideas?

-Steve
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Steve,

Have you tried setting switch 6 on the maintenence switchpack to the ON position?
This clears the CMOS and forces the system to perform a hardware discovery.
(See the label on the side cover for its position).

It won't affect any disk configurations, only the CMOS. Once set you can expect to see 172 and 162 errors which relate to config being cleared - but this is normal.

If it works, set the switch back to the off position again and run the System Configuration Utility (SCU) from F10 or by booting the Smartstart (5.50 or below) CD.

I hope this helps.

Brian