3456 Online
108901 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant DL380 Gen9 Drive bay replacement

ThsGenius
Occasional Contributor

Proliant DL380 Gen9 Drive bay replacement

Hi,

I have 3 DL380 Gen 9 with just the first drive bay filed with HDD.

I dont need to plug the 3 servers but I would like to have 1 with maximum of drive bay in front of it.

My question is :

Is that possible to remove the first Drive bay of the others servers and install them in the secondary and third bay slots on my first server ?
It looks like the first bay of each server is built in and something like that. I don't find how to remove it.

Thank you,

5 REPLIES 5
shiva_jr
HPE Pro

Re: Proliant DL380 Gen9 Drive bay replacement

Hi @ThsGenius ,
   Here I assume that You want to power on only one server and going to shutdown other two.  You don't need the data from any server.
Then,
1) you can take out the a disk from server2 and server3 and insert in to bay 2 and bay 3 of the server1. 
2) Keep the Server2 and Server3 assigning by powering off and power on only the server1.
3) If no data required, then use all the 3 disks and create RAID array as required and install the OS on Server1.

Please let me know if my assumption is not correct. 

Regards,
Shiva_JR

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ThsGenius
Occasional Contributor

@shiva_jr Hi,

I know that I can use HDD's from the other servers.

My concern is about the drive cage. It looks like the first drive cage (located at the right of the server, near the power button), is builted in, there is no screw to remove the cage. Do you confirm that we cannot remove that cage to use it in bay2-3 of another server ?

Are the bay 2-3 having the same cage fit in standards ?

shiva_jr
HPE Pro

Hi @ThsGenius ,
    Please refer this quickspecs. You can get the detail in storage contoller's note section.
    hdd_bay.JPG

Regards,
Shiva_JR

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

MGoorman
Advisor

I'm guessing that you've got a 8SFF model.
An additional bay should have part nr 768857-B21.
If you can find that part number on your bay, I should say it fits.

Be aware that you need more cooling by using high performance fans. (and for as far I know, all the 6 fan positions filled).

ThsGenius
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much for your answers.

I will take a look at.